1000 Euro Good Will Gesture AIB

heliotrope

Hi,
Recently AIB contacted us to say that they transferred the deeds of our house in him an error to a vulture fund in human error. They said they were rectifying this and would offer us 1000 euro in a gesture of good will. Any thoughts on this situation? GDPR is surely compromised and also I would have thought with any transfer between financial institutions human error was well ironed out by now. Thanks

Ask some questions first

When did the error happen?
How was it discovered?
Is it now rectified and when was that done?

Forget GDPR thats a red herring.

Edit to add: do everything in writing.

Last edited:
Recently AIB contacted us to say that they transferred the deeds of our house in him an error to a vulture fund in human error. They said they were rectifying this and would offer us 1000 euro in a gesture of good will. Any thoughts ....
I would not take the bank’s word on anything.
I would also ask AIB to pay for your solicitor to ensure AIB’s error is rectified properly, so you don't have any problems in the future.

GDPR isn't really a red herring? As dumb as some of the rules are (and the ridiculous cookie request pop up on every site) the fines are enormous

You need your solicitor to go though the paperwork, to ensure everything is in order to allow the resale of the property. They may have lost some of the paperwork.

The only questionsare.
How have you lost out?
Has it been rectified?
At the risk of sounding cynical - when was the last time a bank voluntarily offered a 5 4 figure sum without endless complaints/ being dragged to ombuds office / court etc.

How do you 'accidentally' transfer a property? How many more are there out there?

Last edited:
The only questions are.
How have you lost out?
Has it been rectified?
How would Joe Soap know if he lost out ?
How would Joe Soap know if everything to do with his most valuable asset has been rectified after AIB’s error ?
Surely it is wise to ensure there are no legal issue’s with Joe Soap’s home after AIB’s error.
I think asking AIB to pay for independent legal advice is reasonable.

I agree with brendan.

You need to understand how exactly this happened and when and how exactly it impacted you. You need to verify that it has been rectified. After that, perhals seek solicitor advice before acxepting offer

Thank you for all your advice. I will definitely ask all these questions to get a full understanding of how this occurred. All we have been told is that it was a human error. We have not accepted the good will offer.

The only questions are.
How have you lost out?
Has it been rectified?
1K seems reasonable as the OP has not been inconvenienced. But I'd want confirmation this doesn't affect anything else, such as his credit rating. I'd also want to see the legal title to see it is clear of the vulture fund, so he might need a solicitor but I'm not sure if he does.

Hi,
Recently AIB contacted us to say that they transferred the deeds of our house in him an error to a vulture fund in human error. They said they were rectifying this and would offer us 1000 euro in a gesture of good will. Any thoughts on this situation? GDPR is surely compromised and also I would have thought with any transfer between financial institutions human error was well ironed out by now. Thanks
The human error seems to be an actual human doing something with your deeds to transfer the title in your name to a Vulture Fund. I'd say there is war in the legal deeds department and it's presumably a solicitor, internal, who made this error, but probably because someone elsewhere in the bank gave them the wrong information.

The problem should be resolved very quickly, but I imagine this involves the Land Registry and that might be slow. So it would be a potential problem if you were selling.

You need them to take you step by step into what they actually did wrong, and what they are doing to fix it, and how long it will take.

Back