100 euro a month so spend

dewdrop

While the recent report that a large number of people have less that 100 euro a month to spend after payment of bills i find this sad news hard to reconsile with the constant reports of massive sums being spent on drink. I think it is ironic to hear on the news these two issues being reported on one after the other namely the poverty story and the drink orgy. Father Matthew comes to mind.

While the recent report that a large number of people have less that 100 euro a month to spend after payment of bills i find this sad news hard to reconsile with the constant reports of massive sums being spent on drink. I think it is ironic to hear on the news these two issues being reported on one after the other namely the poverty story and the drink orgy. Father Matthew comes to mind.

I'm not 100% sure what your saying here dewdrop but are you saying people are in poverty because of alcohol or have I picked you up wrong?

To be honest i am a bit unsure myself but when i hear of the massive sums spent on drink i just wonder where the money is coming from. I think it is pretty well accepted over the years that drink has caused great financial stress to many families.

Is the €100 left over before or after accounting for drink money?

How about a survey on how much people spend on drink each week? I would say that would be an eye opener!!!!

To be honest i am a bit unsure myself but when i hear of the massive sums spent on drink i just wonder where the money is coming from.

The general topic between most of my friends these days is "how's work going" with a lot reporting they are scraping by, not much doing, bits and pieces etc.

Ireland in the Euros? Session on; all week(end) bender and pubs packed. Some people prioritise then cry poor me over their decisions. Little sympathy.

to be honest i didnt notice the pubs all that packed for euros, where i live anyway. noting like it was for 'italia 90' but there was a lot more work around then!

If bills includes groceries then €100 for a single person is plenty. If you have to buy your food from that then it would suffice for a healthy diet but there wouldn't be a penny spare for even a newspaper.

If bills includes groceries then €100 for a single person is plenty.

I disagree.

€100 a month to fund .. clothing & footwear, save for a holiday, save for a rainy day, mobile phone, car, occasional doctor/chemist costs, birthday & Christmas presents.

If bills includes groceries then €100 for a single person is plenty. If you have to buy your food from that then it would suffice for a healthy diet but there wouldn't be a penny spare for even a newspaper.

A healthy diet is more expensive to fund than an unhealthy one! Good quality fruit, veg, meat and unprocessed ingredients cost a hell of a lot more than a 3-in-1 tray from the local chinese.

It's not just drink though. I constantly hear people worrying about money, bemoaning pay cuts etc and then booking a nice holiday somewhere. I have a cousin whose dad helps her and her husband with their mortgage but I met her at a party at the weekend and she was wearing a pair of sandals that she said didn't cost 'that much' only £150 (pounds not euro). I don't understand that, to be honest.

It's not just drink though. I constantly hear people worrying about money, bemoaning pay cuts etc and then booking a nice holiday somewhere. I have a cousin whose dad helps her and her husband with their mortgage but I met her at a party at the weekend and she was wearing a pair of sandals that she said didn't cost 'that much' only £150 (pounds not euro). I don't understand that, to be honest.

Oh my god!

Yeah, the 'im broke and its terrible' brigade, but yet they are off on holidays and getting the hair done and spray tans and hook like fake nails etc....

I disagree.

€100 a month to fund .. clothing & footwear, save for a holiday, save for a rainy day, mobile phone, car, occasional doctor/chemist costs, birthday & Christmas presents.

But I think all that was taken into account ( maybe bar the holiday fund) and then 100 left over. I know I saw the slot on the news and the women totting up her spending had tv, mobile phone etc in there.

We need to know exactly what is included in the essentials to leave 100

One mans essential is another mans luxery

A healthy diet is more expensive to fund than an unhealthy one! Good quality fruit, veg, meat and unprocessed ingredients cost a hell of a lot more than a 3-in-1 tray from the local chinese.

I don't think this is necessarily true. The likes of lidl and aldi have great deals on fruit and veg.

I don't think this is necessarily true. The likes of lidl and aldi have great deals on fruit and veg.

But they also have great deals on processed ready meal type rubbish.

It is cheaper to eat unhealthy processed food than it is to buy all the ingredients you need to cook healthy meals from scratch - plus it takes less time to prepare the processed stuff.

And if you want to be really healthy and eat organic or free range, it costs an arm and a leg. My butcher sells a free range chicken for 14 euro. Compared to 6 quid for a factory chicken. The cost goes up if you look for quality, and you wont have a healthy diet if you dont eat good quality food.

But they also have great deals on processed ready meal type rubbish.

It is cheaper to eat unhealthy processed food than it is to buy all the ingredients you need to cook healthy meals from scratch - plus it takes less time to prepare the processed stuff.

And if you want to be really healthy and eat organic or free range, it costs an arm and a leg. My butcher sells a free range chicken for 14 euro. Compared to 6 quid for a factory chicken. The cost goes up if you look for quality, and you wont have a healthy diet if you dont eat good quality food.

But its not true that you cant have a healthy diet on a tight budget. You could make a big pot of spal bol for a fiver. If people choose to buy the processed stuff for convinience thats a different matter. I shop in aldi and never but that stuff.
The vast majority of people dont eat organic meat. Even those who are 'comfortably' well off wont spend 14 euro on a chicken

But its not true that you cant have a healthy diet on a tight budget. You could make a big pot of spal bol for a fiver. If people choose to buy the processed stuff for convinience thats a different matter. I shop in aldi and never but that stuff.
The vast majority of people dont eat organic meat. Even those who are 'comfortably' well off wont spend 14 euro on a chicken

Depends what you define as a healthy diet. Spag bol is one of our 'junk' meals lol!

Depends what you define as a healthy diet. Spag bol is one of our 'junk' meals lol!

Really ? How so ?

I make mine with tinned chopped tomatoes, glass of red wine, use wholemeal spagetti, lots of diced carrots, mushrooms, carrots and garlic and not so much mince. ( that makes it cheaper too :) )

I think thats pretty healthy

Ah its not awful. Its just sauce and pasta is pretty stodgery (I use brown pasta too). We have to use turkey mince as I dont tolerate the beef mince for some reason - it upsets my stomach, thats a fiver before I even chop anything.

Ill put it this way, Id never eat it, then go do a work out, its too rich in the belly, its a friday night chill out meal for us.

We do eat more along the lines of organic or free range cuts of meat, lot of free range egg whites get used in my house - work out food.

I'd need to know what 'after bills' means, is that sky, grocery (including wine?), chilldrens activities, petrol, loan repayments. So the €100 is discretionary payments on magazines, meals out, clothes, take out coffee etc. Is it per person or per household?

Back