10 yr old CC debt - still chasing?

cizzy

Hi guys, I hope someone here can give me some advice. Around 10 years ago i got a CC from BOI and i never repaid the debt. My current account with them appears to still be active as I still recieve the odd statement to my mothers address. Thing is my AIB A/C is in dissaray at the moment and I was hoping to use the BOI A/C for my direct debits. I'm afraid however if I start using the account that they will come after me for the old debt which I am in absolutely no position to pay. Any advice very gratefully welcomed.

Ok, see the Money Makeover section.

Then see MABS.

You sound like you're in tremendous difficulty but haven't realsied it yet.

Someone has been keeping thisaccount alive. Perhaps your Mother has been paying the minimum amount to keep the account active - there is no way you would be allowed to walk away from a c-card debt and for them to keep sending you letters; at the very least it would have been handed over to a Debt Management/Collection agency.

Quick thought - do you just mean a normal BOI bank account, which is in overdraft ?

Oh I do realise that i am in difficulty!! Nobody has been paying anything off the debt. It was a credit card and not a overdraft on the account. I wasn't living at home when got into the debt but my home address was the address on the current account. All i ever get form them now is the odd statement showing a zero balance on the account as i haven't used the account since. What i need to know is whether this debt will still show on their system after all this time.

Oh I do realise that i am in difficulty!! Nobody has been paying anything off the debt. It was a credit card and not a overdraft on the account. I wasn't living at home when got into the debt but my home address was the address on the current account. All i ever get form them now is the odd statement showing a zero balance on the account as i haven't used the account since. What i need to know is whether this debt will still show on their system after all this time.

Have you had any correspondence, like letters, for the debt that you owe? Credit Card statements, reminders, letters for repayment, debt collectors etc?

You can try opening a new account in a different bank, there are more than two banks in Ireland.

I wonder if the fact you were not living at your mother's address for more than 7 years (statute of limitations) means that there has been no contact and therefore they cannnot come after you for the debt. You'd need proper legal advice on this.

As you asked for any advice I too suggest you do the money makeover section on this website.

What interest rate is charged to your credit card? 10 years of 10+% interest rates might add up to quite big sum if you left a big amount outstanding.

Back