10.30am ,Is Dublin airport chaotic at this time on a Sunday morning?

Lauren

Is Dublin airport chaotic at this time on a Sunday morning? Anyone been out there recently at this time? I think I'm resigned to the fact that we need three hours out there and not the old fashioned two!

Re: Airport at 10.30am Sunday

Gone through the airport quite a bit over the last few months, but never at the time you mention.

I'm cautious about saying it, but I think I'm noticing an improvement. Security queues seem to be moving a bit faster anyway. Maybe people are becoming more familiar with the new regulations.

I've flown at least 30 times in the last 2 years and never need to be Dublin Airport more than an hour before my flight. I usually aim for 1hr 15mins, never more, and have yet to miss a flight. I usually travel at 7am on a Monday morning when the airport is at it's busiest.

I can't understand why people need so much time in the airport (unless you plan on spending time in duty free, going to the bar or drinking several cups of coffee).

A lot of the overcrowding problems at Dublin Airport are caused by people turning up three hours+ before their flight.

In the main, check-in does not open prior to two hours before departure time. hHnce you have a lot of people standing about waiting for an hour doing nothing but causing an obstruction.

People hear about the conjestion at the airport and think that the best thing to do is turn up even earlier. this is not the correct thing to do !!

JP

Can you blame them for turning up early ?

The word given out by the airlines and DAA is to turn up at X time before your departure is due, yet people have done this and experienced long queues and nearly or actually missed their flight.

There are three options open to them for their next flight -
1) turn up at the same X time and hope that this time the queues aren't just a little worse and they miss their flight
2) turn up less than X time ahead of departure and hope (based on no concrete information) that the queue will be shorter this time
3) turn up more than X time ahead of departure and assume that you will at least make your flight on time and maybe even have time for a cup of coffee since you're parched after standing in a queue for the best part of an hour.

I know which one I would choose. Any secondary inconvenience caused to other people by making the queue at that time longer than it might be doesn't factor into the individuals considerations. The individual is only concerned with getting on their flight on time, not with the greater good of the general Dublin Airport user population. It is the DAA that should be worrying about that bit.

If there was any sort of service level agreement in place whereby DAA guarantee that if you arrive at the airport at X time before departure they will make sure you get on your flight then people might be encouraged to do this. I know this would be almost impossible to achieve, but in the absense of any sort of guarantee you can't blame people for doing what *they* can to ensure they make their flight and in this case all they can do is turn up early. Turning up later might work, but if it didn't then they could find themselves sitting in Dublin airport with a rather unhappy spouse and kids giving them aggro instead of sitting on the beach for the next two weeks.

z

As mentioned, check-in doesnt open earlier than two hours before departure so how will turning up earlier than this help the passengers make their flight on time.

Passengers can not go through security until they have checked in.

JP

I'm with jprender on this (though I would add the caveat of hand luggage only/internet check in depending on the airline)

What determines the congestion at the airport isn't just the number of people passing through, it's the amount of time they hang around there as well.

I think the problem with the DAA etc. offering a "guarantee" is though that it's not exactly in the DAA's interest not to have large amounts of people hanging aroudn the airport for long periods of times ... those catering outlets/shops aren't just there for decoration :)

I know where you are going EvilDr & JPrender, but picture yourself in the boots of someone who has shelled out a couple of grand for the annual holidays and have the entire family in tow with you - would you take the risk ? Or you are on a business trip and *have* to make that meeting in London at 0930, miss the meeting and you lose the sale . . .

I know the DAA guarantee thing isn't going to happen, but surely they realise that if people spend so much time in the queues and have to rush for their flights they will not have as much time to spend in the retail areas ? We've done it before - spent ages in the check-in queue, spent ages in the security queue, rushed down to the gate and stood in the queue there too without even considering the shops for fear that the clocks are out by a few minutes and we don't really have 10 minutes, etc . . .

z

I was there around 10am on a Saturday recently, and it was jammers. I couldn't tell where checkin queues ended and security began! Dublin security took me longer to go through than Heathrow 2 hours later.

Like Trent, I allow just over an hour -- but that's with online checkin and hand luggage only. If I had hold luggage and had to checkin as a group (especially with kids), I'd give myself at least 2 hours.

I spend far too much time in Dublin airport at all times of the day. Very early in the morning it is congested but that is because of all the red-eyes between 6am and 7am, if I am on a 6.30 I will usually plan to be there about 1hr 45mins beforehand (generally I do have hold baggage though) - it quietens down considerably in the morning once the commuter flights have left and flying mid morning or early afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to find that the airport was not at all manic - although it is only occassionally that I can do that.

Flights to Europe generally do open two hours beforehand but flights to the US (and I suspect the Middle East but I'm not sure) open at least 3 hours beforehand. If you are flying with an airline that uses the self-checkin machines (so pretty much so anyone but RyanAir) you can check yourself in earlier though if you want. Generally if I am flying RyanAir I will turn up a bit earlier because they are the ones with the worst check-in queues in my experience and the most inflexible arrangements (and having taken several hundred flights on different airlines over the last few years I have reason to know!)

Unusually I have been through the airport on a sunday morning a few times recently (most recently 6 weeks ago). While the security queues were pretty minimal, if you are flying to the US (which by the time you say you could well be) remember that you also have to go through US Customs and Border controls in Dublin - those queues can be considerable. There are several flights heading out of Dublin to the US on a Sunday morning so there are large numbers of people trying to clear through customs. I have had more than 40 minutes queueing there on one occassion. They do have an electronic notice board at the B Gates telling you what time CBP will process people for each of the flights but I can't find it online, from memory it is about a hour or an hour and a half prior to take off.

A lot of the overcrowding problems at Dublin Airport are caused by people turning up three hours+ before their flight.

I would be inclined to dispute this. A lot of overcrowding is because there are premium flight times. If you look at the departures you can pick out times of day when there are ten or more flights all departing at the "same" time. 6.30 weekdays is a prime example where there is considerable commuter traffic. I don't doubt that there are people who turn up three hours plus (just take a look around at all the sleeping beauties at 5am) but the majority of people seem to turn up 1-2 hours before their flight times. No statistics just observation. Most people who walk in the door don't go for a cuppa first, they check in first.

For what it's worth - I arrived at Dublin airport at about 5.40 on Wednesday morning to catch a 6.30 flight (printed online boarding pass and no hand luggage) ... Security queue was very light - only about 5 mins to get through ... I probably could have turned up at 6.00 and still caught the flight :) - So it's not always bad early in the morning but I guess you wouldn't want to count on that!

opposite experience. turned up at 4.40 for 6am flight and got through check in at 5.15 ( the notice overhead announced that the flight was closing at 5.20, however we were far from the last in the queue and I did recognise some of those people later on the aircraft) another 15 mins marching backward and forward until we finally reached security. got to the boarding gate at 5.50 and when we boarded the plane was almost empty. it did fill up however and took off at 6.30am. there was certainly no time for a tea or coffee. just my experience and as I will shortly be using the airport again this time I will arrive at least 2 hours before the flight. 1hour 40 was cutting it too fine in the light of the queues both for check in and security.

Is Dublin airport chaotic at this time on a Sunday morning? Anyone been out there recently at this time? I think I'm resigned to the fact that we need three hours out there and not the old fashioned two!

Having passed through Dublin Airport a fair amount of times over the last few years I would disagree with this business of turning up 3 hours in advance of your flight. For a start the departures terminal is packed with people waiting for their check-in desks to open. Most airlines open the check-in 120-90 minutes before take off. Very few open before the 2 hour mark so whats the point in being there so early? If you can check-in online or use a fast pass machine (Aer Lingus, BMI, AF etc) 90 minutes is loads of time. Other airlines and charters might be a bit slower but there would still be no problem if you a there 2 hours before take off. Sunday mornings at 10.30 is probably as busy as anytime esp this time of year with all the holiday flights.

SOM42 - the thing is that a lot of people have had bad experiences with the queues in Dublin (and elsewhere), so while some people might think it is mad to turn up 3 hours early, some others think it is the only way they can be sure (and even then there is no guarantee) of getting their flight.

Someone who gets to the airport 90 minutes early and spends 30 minutes waiting for the check-in because today is a bad day and some of the machines are broken or some of the bag-drop staff are in a mood and going slow and then *only* 30 minutes in security because today is a good day and then knows that they have 30 minutes to spare might remember that the walk down to the temporary part of the terminal will take them a good 10-15 minutes (20 or more if they have a mobility issue, or have kids, or are short of breath, etc . . .) and then might wonder how many minutes before departure time the airline closes the gates and suddenly realise there isn't as much time as they thought left out of their 90 minutes.

When you consider the cost and inconvenience of missing your flight because of events outside your control, it makes a lot of sense to do what you can to avoid the issue - the main variable that is consumed in the airport is time - if you can supply more time you reduce the chances of missing your flight.

I've never been at the airport 3 hours in advance, but I can fully understand why people would want to be there that early. I think the earliest I was there might have been about 2h30 for a US flight because I was factoring in the extra time queueing to get through pre-clearance for the US, but as I discovered - one of the advantages of the early Continental flight to Newark is that it is the first flight out and it is pretty small so there is no chance for a queue to build at pre-clearance.

z

Bet you are all in Dublin!

It hasn't crossed your mind that people end up being 3 hours early because they have a 2 or 3 hour car journey to make, which involves navigating the m50 and using a long-term car-park. Maybe it's all hype but all any non-Dub hears about is the m50 being snarled up all the time, particularly north of the toll bridge. I stay as far away from Dublin airport as possible and use the regional airports but last time I was up there, you wouldn't bet your bottom dollar on the precision timing of the long-term carpark bus services either.

So you have to factor in an allowance for the m50, for the carpark and then for the queueing to check-in and security. On your (tri-?)annual holiday, who wants to be living on the edge with only an hour to spare? Even if you're going with Ryanair, all you hear on Joe Duffy et al is that they'll peg you off the flight if you're not a good little soldier 100% within the rules - people are scared their trip will be ruined.

Rebecca

Passed through Dublin Airport this morning (Sunday) at just before 11.00 and the queue at security took about 30 seconds :)

Airport was quite busy, but no need to be turning up hours early certainly - the security queue was non existent - only had to stand behind two or three people at the scanner.

Of course your experience may vary - but certainly this Sunday mid morning wasn't that busy at all.

I was actually passing through Dublin Airport again this Sunday morning (sometimes i do different things on Sunday mornings honestly!) .... Arrived at the terminal at about 10.40 for an 11.20 flight ... again the airport was busy but the security queues were very light (though not quite as light as last weekend) - probably about 5 minutes to get through.

Definitely no need to turn up mad early in my book anyway :)

Back