1.6 litre Passat... too much car of that size engine?

ninsaga

Calling owners of 1.6 Passats, Peugeot 407's & Toyota Avensis...

... in your opinion, are the 1.6 engines lacking in pulling power for these cars? Do you think that you would need to go to higher engines classes.

By pulling power I mean.....

- pulling trailer of earth
- overtaking
- gaining speed going up steep hills

ninsaga

Re: 1.6 litre Passat... to much car of that size engine?

ninsaga said:
- pulling trailer of earth
- overtaking
- gaining speed going up steep hills
Hell yes, in each case i'd go for the diesel varient which has plenty of torque for the scenarios you mention and is quite economical too.

A 1.6 petrol while fine around town etc. would definately struggle at the above.

Re: 1.6 litre Passat... to much car of that size engine?

Thanks Eurofan..... naturally a bigger engine size will be better by all accounts... I'm curious to know though of any owners of these 1.6's as to whether or not they find that their cars 'struggle' somewhat or not. These are big cars and can these engines cope or not ..........

ninsaga

Jeremy Clarkson ranks the Passat in general as third in its category in today's Sunday Times. However, no specific info on the 1.6. I've seen this described as "sluggish" in the December issue of Car Buyers Guide. Would one be better off with the 1,9 diesel instead of the 1,6 petrol?

I've driven the 1.6 Passat only briefly and to be honest it was fine though i wasn't pulling anything or carrying any kind of load at the time.

I did own a 1.6 Seat Toledo which definately did struggle to pull a very small caravan on a trip a few years ago, neccesitated riding the engine more than i'd be comfortable with normally.

We ended up taking it back with a mates Octavia 1.9Tdi which was much much better primarily due to the torque available in that engine and i found myself a lot less tired after the journey.

1.6 Passat is painfully slow. The newest one particularly is a complete slug.

Just my view.

I have a new 1.6L Passat. Its definitely not as nippy as other 1.6 litre cars that I have driven (but its certainly not a slug!)

Its perfect for my requirements (city and motorway driving) but I would definitely consider a larger engine if you need it to work harder as in the scenarios you listed above.

I drove a company Avensis 1.6 for years. The only way to get the required performance I found resulted in a lot of revs in the red!.. you would not want to drive your own car that hard!
Id say they all would really struggle with a trailer too. Another Avensis 1.6 in our fleet that a co worker used to tow a horse box with, was ruined by all the hard work put on the engine. You dont get heavier loads than earth really do you either!

Back