1.6 Engine

Westbound

Am looking for a new motor and have narrowed it down to a 2005 Vectra or an Avensis. Does anyone have any expericence of these cars, especially the 1.6 16v versions. Is this engine too small for the size of the cars, as they seem big and heavy vehicles? How economical are they? I Haven't had a test drive yet, but just wanted to see what peoples opinions/experiences were.

I have a Ford Mondeo with the 1.6l engine - similar size car. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1.6l in my car. All the accelleration necessary, relatively fuel efficient on long journeys, and no problems given size of car.

But then again, the Ford would probably be considered a better engine than either the Opel or the Toyota.

I'd stay away from the Opel though. It can be a dog when things start to go wrong, as the frequently do, and labour and materials to get things fixed are expensive - significantly more expensive to keep on the road than the Mondeo for example.

Westbound,
I believe the 1.6l engine in the Avensis is too small from personal experience, I have no idea on the Vectra except friends of mine have had terrible trouble with more than one (new) Vectra, electrics went in the one they bought and brakes didn't work properly in the replacement, they drive a Mazda 6 now.

But then again, the Ford would probably be considered a better engine than either the Opel or the Toyota.

Don't know where this is coming from, Toyota engines are bullet proof with higher than average fuel consumption figures.

gocall01 said:
Don't know where this is coming from, Toyota engines are bullet proof with higher than average fuel consumption figures.

I don't drive in a warzone so I don't really care about the bulletproof nature of an engine.

I didn't actually make any specific comparison, however, I can show you comparisons where the Mondeo 2.0l (newer models) have shown to have higher fuel efficiency than the Avensis.

However, to clarify better, for the given cars mentioned. Better = fuel efficiency, grunt for size of car (as you say yourself), and cost of running/maintenance.

I would steer clear of the Opel Vectra. Having worked in Aftersales in the Motor Trade I can tell you that you will have problems. A Toyota is a far better car then an Opel.

I second that, had a Vectra a while back - it's hard to believe such crap cars are still made. Pretty much everything went on mine, really struggled to get rid of it in the end....go with Toyota, they are rock solid.

Also, this is my first time with a car to trade in, how does a garage value the car for these purposes and would they give a different allowance depending on whether I was buying a new or used car? I checked on CBG and Autotrader and I realise that the prices given there are 'retail', do they bear any relation to what you could be offered and can you argue over a value offered for trade in?

I reckon a 1.6 in that class of car will be adequate, but still underpowered.

Don't do it buy a diesel.

1.6 in that size of car wouldn't the skin off a sausage.

Go for a test drive bring 3 big mates and try and drive up a hill.

Back