04 opel vectra 1.6.

shels-07

Hi all,

I am looking for advise here. I was looking at a 04 opel vectra 1.6 petrol car today, It has 66k miles on the clock.

Ok here goes, When I was taking it for a test drive I noticed that the dash was flashing like a christmas tree when I put the key into the ignition and started the car. Car drove very well I must say with no driving defects. The lights stopped flashing after about 2 or 3 minutes. The dealer said it could be a loose connection. Has anyone any advise? Also when does the timing belt have to be changed ? after how many miles?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from ye.

Cheers

Could have been a low battery maybe the car has been sitting for a while.

I would be wary of loose connection excuse sounds like BS.

1.6 will be heavy on fuel underpowered for that size car.

It would want to be cheap as chips.

Thanks frank. Yes I would say that it has been sitting there a few wks alright. that may have been the problem.. You are worrying me now when you say heavy on feul.. He was asking 4500 for it but I got him down to 4000.. Is that a good price?

... Is that a good price?
Not if the car is a lemon. "I noticed that the dash was flashing like a christmas tree" which specific lights? One nasty trick to be aware of is the removal of bulbs / fuses for warning lights ....

mathepac,

It was every light on the dash was flashing very quickly. They also said it could be the battery.. The lights all stopped flashing after 2 or 3 minutes.. Heavy on feul now is starting to worry me. I wonder how heavy would it be... it has 2 full years test on it too

There must be 1000's of cars out there in garages at the mo... shop around

TBH.. not sure why they have a dead battery in a car they are trying to sell in the current climate...

focus diesel by a mile. but only offer 5 for it. thats all its worth. all the foucs petrols are heavy on juice too very heavy!

mathepac,

Heavy on feul now is starting to worry me. I wonder how heavy would it be... it has 2 full years test on it too

Being quite honest I would not get overly worried about this. I drove a 1999 1.6 vectra for three years and I always found the fuel consumption to be reasonable enough. I worked out at one stage that I was getting very close to 40mpg. Before the vectra I drove a 1.3 litre corolla hatchback and found them both to be very comparable overall. The corolla would have being more efficient on shorter journeys and city/town stop-move-stop driving but the vectra would seem to make up considerable ground on the longer cruising commutes. if you push it on you will pay for it at the pumps though but this is the same with practically any car. If you drive sensibly I don't see fuel economy as being a major cause for concern.

Would probably be a newer engine in the 2004 model I'm sure but would imagine if it was no better it would certainly be no worse...I say that without being a complete petrol head though! There may be a few kg's in it in terms of weight as the newer model at least looks to be a tad bigger but I'm sure this would not be dramatic.

Back