04 Ford Focus - low power in low gears..bad news?

shesells

Have a 04 Ford Focus (1.6 petrol) with about 74,000 miles on the clock. Drove Dublin-Cork at the weekend and noticed that the engine was revving higher than normal at 100-120kmph, thought it was sluggish to take off too.

On the way back I took a different route and had to go through a few small towns necessitating stopping and starting. I found the car to have very little power in 1st-3rd gears, much slower 1-60mph than usual. Once it got to speed it was fine. Have used it locally today and still 1st to 3rd is slow to pick up speed but once it gets speed up it's grand.

Of course I've done the usual Google search and it looks like a likely culprit is the clutch...which will prove horrendously expensive. Also in the running is dirty petrol which is always a possibility?

I'm not going to be able to get it to a garage until next week and I really need it between now and then. Is it safe to drive? Should I psych myself up for the worst?

You should be able to tell if it is the clutch, by the revs increasing and dropping sharply if you press and release the throttle, if it is, futher use will cause heating and burning in the clutch which could cost more expense. I think you should get a clutch replaced for around €400

quote today €475 (including discount). It's over 10% of the value. Torn as to what to do, pay it and maintain old car or trade up. I love my car but I don't want it to become a money pit. Annual NCTs from next year is making me wonder if I should go for something newer, though probably not new.

I had my Toyota done for €420 (not a cheap clutch, a Luk) How will you trade up with a faulty clutch? Maintenance is always going to be disproportionate to the price of the car, it will cost about the same to have the timing belt done, but you do not get rid of a car every time a new timing belt is required.

€250 to replace clutch in my lads Fiat Punto, 5 hours labour, I think that is way too expensive at €475, suggest you shop around.

What make clutch is it? for such an important part you need a good manufacturer.

Back