'03 passat diesel - floor behind drivers seat getting saturated

Betsy Og

Seems to be clean water, the coolant level is fine (volume on floor far too great to explain the difference). So I'm thinking:

a) AC problem
b) some byproduct of the exhaust system
c) ground water being blown into interior (seems too clean for that).

Any views? Think I recall it happening once, years ago, and maybe attributing it to a slightly open window, but dont think that explains it in this case.

I have an 03 VW Passat too & this happened to me too.
It was after a VERY heavy downpore when the car was parked on a kerb so all the rain water flowed off the car, down the windscreen & managed to find a way in when the car was sloped.
Mechanic said the water would have found the lowest point in the car & gathered there.

At that time I was able to scoop out literally litres of water but it hasn't happend since although sometimes the carpet there still gets a bit damp.

An internet search at the time revealed it to a common problem but I never found a solution. Mechanic said he could spend hours looking for a leak so I left it at the time.

Car smells a bit musty sometimes now.

Google - similar problem

Does any of the above sound similar?

Sounds ALL too familiar. Have had a 96 Golf and a 03 bora with same problems. Does my nut in. Have bora now and thought golf was a one off problem as car was old.

Have tried everything and googled it to death. Spoke to someone in a VW garage who said he NEVER heard of it but it appears that it is common enough. Would LOVE to find the reason - going bald over it!

There is a known problem with older Passats. The tray on which the battery rests can fill with rainwater. There is a drainage point under the battery, but it can get blocked with debris. If it is not cleared (the simple fix is to push out the grommet on the drainage hole) the water tends to find a path into the car.

google plenum holes passat

I had this on my 01 passat a load of gunk in the roubber drains lets water fill up under the battery and come in through the fan under the pollen filter.

Very diy do able with basic tools a socket set and a bit of grunt.

Thanks to all, I'd clock up a few "thanks" points for ye if I could, maybe its a mods only scenario.

Pure conicidence

A mate in work hasn't used his 03 vectra in months.

Went at it today and the passenger side from and rear were literally flooded.

While he shifted out buckets of water from front and rear I popped the bonnet to find a very blocked drain. This mixed with several kilos of snow means a very damp car.

Some coincidence.

Got around to sorting the problem yesterday evening, on the '03 passat diesel you dont need to remove the battery (though if you could it would make it easier - v long ratchet drive needed so ruled me out).

Anyway, standing at front numberplate leaning in towards windscreen, to the left of the battery there are 2 pipes (probably for heater in car) up high, as these drop vertically its possible to fit your hand between then and then curl it around to the left (behind/under the circular looking yoke) root around there (in the cold water ... brrrr) and you should find the drainage hole. I removed something that left like a chip of composting wood.

Flushed it with warm water and it ran clean through so hopeful thats that sorted.

Just be aware there are 2 of them to clear.

At least one should sort the problem,

Best to get a new pollen filter too.

Back