€65 per downlighter?

Lappy

Yet again, Rip Off Ireland has given me a kick in the you know where !!

My apartment is being wired and the company working for the builders want 65 euro PER downlighter.

Let's say I need 13, 6 in the sitting room, 3 in the kitchen and 4 in the hall.. that's €845 just for downlighters!!!!???

I know it's convenient to have them done now with the rest of the wiring but it seems a bit much. Sparks can get downlighters for about €16!

Anyone else had them installed in a new home?

Re: €65 per downlighter???

i bought eight gimbal (more expensive) fitting downlighters for €83 inc Vat last month from a trade electrical store. €65 is absolutely outrageous, I know it includes wiring and fitting, i'd threaten to write to RECI, and phone some radio stations...

As ever... high price, perhaps. Rip-off, no. You know the price and can decide to pay it considering the convenience or you can put up with the inconvenience of doing it later, shop around and most likely get a better price.

Re: €65 per downlighter?

Thanks for the replies.

Allow me to move the goalposts so...

Is 65 quid good value for money then considering the ceiling could be a solid one?

Do you reckon they would just wire the rooms for downlighters but not actually fit them?

My electrican is only charging me 25euro per downlighter...crome finished ones..!!

The development I've bought in would be expensive enough so I think they feel that everyone will be fine paying lots for extras.. but unfair I think!

Presumably some people will pay arguably inflated prices in such circumstances for the convenience or because they are not bothered to consider the options. Fair enough - as long as they don't moan about supposed rip-offs after the fact.

While it may not technically be a rip off it could well be considered abuse of a monopoly position. The reality is that builders only allow their sparks on site before handover of keys to buyer so you have to go with site sparks or none at all. If you wait until you own the house and then get the work done it means that another sparks needs to come in take up floor boards, lay new wires, replaster and repaint - this will end up costing a lot more

Never thought of it like that Efm.

I'm going out to their show unit tomorrow morning where they said they will show me the different options available.. They've mentioned surround sound and other bells and whistles but I'm not too fussed over things like that as it's our first place, it's only an apartment (where's the potential to use things like surround sound!) and I'm probably going to be out of there after 3 or 4 years.

I will ask if there's any give on 65 quid depending on how many lights you want. No question, they look a lot slicker but I don't want to be your typical Irish buyer who questions nothing and hands over the cash.

getting my new house wired for downlighters too. dont know how much the wiring is costing but when i was checking out the kind of fixtures i wanted they came to €50each!! know thats not builder supplier prices - i have to supply - but comparably i can see where the 65 comes from...but maybe i'm the one being screwed!!!

efm said:
While it may not technically be a rip off it could well be considered abuse of a monopoly position. The reality is that builders only allow their sparks on site before handover of keys to buyer so you have to go with site sparks or none at all. If you wait until you own the house and then get the work done it means that another sparks needs to come in take up floor boards, lay new wires, replaster and repaint - this will end up costing a lot more

I doubt it would come under monopoly either, you are buying a finished house from a builder so he does not have to let anyone else on site. There are plenty of builders and developments to chose from so if you think the extras cost too much you are in theory free to buy from any other builder who might charge less for extras.

Now in reality most seem to charge quite a lot so maybe there is an argument for cartel pricing but its likely not organised enough to come under that.

Tell builder that you're supplying downlighters and get a price for fitting. It might make things more transparent.
It is however quite comon to get screwed on extras, as this is where many subcontractors make (improve) their profit after pricing tight to get the basic job off the builders. It is also possible that the builder is adding his cut to the job.
Was bitten once for £80 8 years ago for a garden tap directly behind sink. Materials at the time were £6, labour probably 30 mins. Builder payed in the end as he fitted wardrobes which were not asked for, so promised to come to "middle ground" him after sale.............
I chose the "middle ground" because of the £80 tap!

Turned out that for every 'normal' light fixture you were replacing with a downlighter, the builder gave back €27. So it wasn't too bad in the end when you factor in the costs/hassle of doing it afterwards.

Leaving it wired was an option but they'd still have to put normal lights in and seal the ceiling as you can't leave holes in the roof according to the builder.

You should ask them what would it cost to put 2" x 1/2" strapping on the ceiling running perpendicular to the joists. It makes adding recessed lights a lot easier for fishing wires and you don't have to go lifting floorboards etc.

In my new house I was given the following options:
  1. Wire only 20e per light
  2. Wire & Fit 60e
  3. Supply,Wire & Fit 80e
I picked the wire only and will get them fitted after I get the keys,I know a sparky who will do job at 50e labour,I am getting 8 recess lights.

upgrader in the same position as you on the prices, is your new house in clare perhaps ?

Builders can get away with it due to the convienience factor!!!

Hi johndoe64,

House is in Ardnacrusha,builders hold all the aces when it comes to extras.

Are downlights the same as recessed lights and spotlights?
If so it's costing me €100 per light (15 in total) and it doesn't include supplying or fitting. Feeling ripped off!
I was told it's a huge inconvenience and a lot more expensive to get them wired afterwards - is that really the case?

as far as i know they are the same.

in a new house they wire a room before they plaster it,so it would be huge inconvenience if doing after and as you could image you would have to cut holes in the plaster etc........but i would talk to a sparky for further advice.
See if you can talk directly to the builder's sparky

I originally bought an apartment a couple of years ago and got recessed (downlights) put in: 6 in the sitting room and 4 in the kitchen. At the time I asked to builder to do the fitting for me and I'd supply the lights. So at the time of wiring the builder's electrician simply ran the cable around the two rooms and left approx 4 inch of cable out of holes in the ceiling at roughly the locations I wanted the lights. This cost €25 per light. Since I was supplying the lights I met with the electrician and watched him fit them - took him about half an hour, was ridiculously simple and cost me and additional €25 per light. At the time I was utterly disscussed as I could have carried out the fitting no problem, all you need is the lights, a pad saw, screw driver and wire strippers!

Since then I have moved to a second hand home and have fitted recessed lights through out the downstairs. While this was a bigger job as I had to run the cable through joists etc, it was still a manageable job, did not require a huge amount of skill or know-how and saved my self a sizable amount of cash. You can buy 6 brushed chrome recessed lights in B&Q for approx €40 (having originally bought the very expensive (€30 per light) transformer type I don't see any difference in the appearance).

So if I were you I get the builder to run the cable alright, as it is a messy job doing it after the ceiling is in place and skimmed/painted, but fit the lights yourself.

Back