€500 a year for refuse collection : illegal dumping €0

Lingua

Havent done it but sometimes wonder if abiding by the rules in this respect makes me nothing more than a Big Legal gobshot.

My last bill (a month ago) for a few bags of rubbish in a pair of colored bins cost me over 500 eur.

Where will this madness end?

kaygo

Re: Legal/illegal dumping

Hey count your blessings, I'm still waiting for Oxigen to send me a receipt for monies paid to them last year- just so I can claim the paltry tax relief. Three letters later and I'm still waiting. Different point I know.

kaygo said:
My last bill (a month ago) for a few bags of rubbish in a pair of colored bins cost me over 500 eur. Where will this madness end?
What local authority area?
What precisely do you mean by "a few bags of rubbish"?
Over what period of time did the €500 accrue?

At €500 for a few bags of waste.What was in the bags,nuclear waste?

OK so Im not the only one, but its still not fair. Maybe the authorities think the Midlands waste is treacherous (nuclear might be cheaper tho)
OK,the 500 was for the year - a few cardboard boxes and newspapers, and a few bags of chicken bones and rotton food. It doesnt matter how many bags you use - you pay for the wheelies - even if they are empty!
kaygo

kaygo said:
It doesnt matter how many bags you use - you pay for the wheelies - even if they are empty!kaygo
Are there no other possibilities in your area?

We don't have a wheelie bin and use our waste collection company's bags, which cost us €110 a year. We also have a compost bin, try to buy goods without lots of packaging and recycle everything we possibly can.

Re: €500 a year for refuse collection : illegal dumping €0

Illegal dumping may not be as [broken link removed]as the title if this thread suggests.

I can see where Kaygo is coming from. In Fingal, you pay per use i.e. the tag system. We only put our refuse/grey bin out once a month. We recycled as much as possible in the green bin, had a compost bin and also recycled all glass and clothes. However now we live in an area where we pay a fixed charge of €90 per quarter regardless of how often or little you put your bin out. We still recycle but there is no incentive to do so. However I do know, that in my area anyway that they are moving to a pay - per -use system this year, ie you are only charged everytime your grey bin is lifted. However I would not condone illegal dumping under any circumstances. It's disgusting and irresponsible.

I live in rural Fingal and even with the pay-per-use system they have, the amount of illegal dumping has visibly increased in the last year or two. it's absolutely disgusting and makes me so mad! imagine rural dwellers travelling into the local towns and dumping bin bags into people's gardens?

why on earth would somebody hop into their cars in the middle of the night, under the veil of darkness with the threat of being found out, just to dump 2 black bin bags when they can just drive to their
local dump and pay a minimum charge to get rid of it.

Danmo said:
However I would not condone illegal dumping under any circumstances. It's disgusting and irresponsible.

Couldn't agree more but I feel the local authorities are not doing enough to stop this. Even in the case outlined above, the person was fined €250 - it's still cheaper than the €400 that I pay and the €500 that Kaygo pays. IMO this is the big problem - if I am dumping waste illegally then I should be fined MORE than the cost of disposing of the waste legally. Otherwise, it makes financial sense to illegally dump. The commercial co's who were found to be illegally dumping waste were fined pathetic amounts when you consider that the cost of disposing of this waste correctly could be anything from €150-€280 per tonne! How many thousand tonnes were dumped? Who is paying the cost financially and on the environment?

Why not bag your rubbish and take directly to landfill yourself?
You mention cardboard boxes and newspapers, and a few bags of chicken bones and rotton food in your post, all of which are recyclable - yes even the bones and rotten food.
You mention the midlands, the landfill in Athlone is €12 for a car.
By the sounds of things you do not need a weekly service, your €500 will pay for a potential 41 visits to the dump at €12 a pop.
I'm a family of 4, one in nappies another just out of nappies and a stay at home mum. Our bin is exclusively ashes from the fire, nappies and leftover cooked food - I do not have the facility to recycle cooked food/bones in my garden.
The bin is collected once a month when the fire is on, once every two months when the fire is not on. I recycle a full boot load once a week and choose purchases will little packaging/recyclable as much as possible.
Unrecyclables like plastic wrappings etc I bag and store in the shed and make a full car trip twice a year - about a dozen full bin liners.
About 10 bins collected = €80, €8 a bin tag
Two trips to dump = €24
Total direct cost = €104 a year
Satisfaction level of recycling/reusing as much as possible is much greater.

kaygo said:
OK,the 500 was for the year
OK - so this was misleading then?
kaygo said:
My last bill (a month ago) for a few bags of rubbish in a pair of colored bins cost me over 500 eur.
It doesnt matter how many bags you use - you pay for the wheelies - even if they are empty!
I thought that you could opt out and make your own arrangements for waste disposal if you so choose?
a few cardboard boxes and newspapers
These could be disposed of at your local recycling/Bring centre for free.
and a few bags of chicken bones and rotton food.
Non meat organic matter can be composted for free (well apart from the cost of the compost bin which are usually sold at discount prices by local authorities).

Danmo said:
In Fingal, you pay per use i.e. the tag system. We only put our refuse/grey bin out once a month. We recycled as much as possible in the green bin, had a compost bin and also recycled all glass and clothes. However now we live in an area where we pay a fixed charge of €90 per quarter regardless of how often or little you put your bin out. We still recycle but there is no incentive to do so.

I agree with you. I live in Fingal and put my rubbish out less than once a month. €7.50 a pop. Its a great system and costs us about €70 a year because we recycle and compost everything that its possible too.
If i had to pay to have my bin collected yearly i would put it out at every opportunity because i have paid for it anyway. Since i would not have a full bin i would just throw the stuff i normally recycle into the bin anyway for less hassle.

Its very very unfair to charge people by the year for rubbish collection when all people waste at different rates. There is no incentive at all to recycle then.

I see a business opportunity here. Guy gets a van or trailer and goes to the neighbours and charges them (€0.x * no. of bags) every month. Fills the van and goes to the dump. I'm sure there's a 'tidy' profit there.

Some local authorities no longer allow commercial vehicles (vans, 4x4, large trailers) into the landfills. The LA are only obliged to provide an outlet for private households waste. The guy in the van would need a waste collection permit (costing ~€1,270) from the local authority to legally transport and dispose of the waste and have to submit an AER (Annual Environmental Report) every year confirming the waste collected during the previous calendar year.

Incidentally the €400 that I pay is payable regardless of the number of collections and the amount of recycling that I do! Goes against the principal of "polluter pays!". By recycling some of my waste and therefore reducing the qty for landfill, I should pay less than my neighbour who couldn't be bothered recycling - but I don't. Apparently the council are working on this and we should all be using the "pay-by-weight" system very soon - by council standards that could be years!

I'm a family of 4, one in nappies another just out of nappies and a stay at home mum. Our bin is exclusively ashes from the fire, nappies and leftover cooked food

Would you consider using terries nappies?

Lorz said:
Incidentally the €400 that I pay is payable regardless of the number of collections and the amount of recycling that I do! Goes against the principal of "polluter pays!". By recycling some of my waste and therefore reducing the qty for landfill, I should pay less than my neighbour who couldn't be bothered recycling - but I don't. Apparently the council are working on this and we should all be using the "pay-by-weight" system very soon - by council standards that could be years!

And i bet when it is working that all of us who recycle a lot will end up paying the equivalent of what you pay now and those that waste a lot will pay a lot more.

I dont see the price going down at all no matter how much you recycle. There is no way they will let themselves make less money out of refuse collection.

actually i think the compulsory charge per household is a much better way than leaving it up to householders pay-per-use. it immediately cuts out all incentive to illegally dump. it shouldn't reflect recycling if the green bins were circulated to every household. When i lived abroad, the bi-monthly refuse collection bill was just considered part of my expenses such as water charges, electricity etc. it's a fairer system in my opinion.

fingal have recently put up the price of their bin collection from €3:50 per bin to €6 and they're already starting to complain about people putting out less rubbish now. I reckon there's a lot more back yard burning going on as a direct result of this. If there was a compulsory charge on every household in the country and proper green bins circulated to them all, then all these problems would be stamped out immediately.

bb12 said:
Fingal have recently put up the price of their bin collection from €3:50 per bin to €6 and they're already starting to complain about people putting out less rubbish now. I reckon there's a lot more back yard burning going on as a direct result of this. If there was a compulsory charge on every household in the country and proper green bins circulated to them all, then all these problems would be stamped out immediately.
Fingal are just trying to get an excuse to slap a yearly charge on. They see people putting out rubbish as customers not eco-sensitive souls. Fingal took ages to have the green bins available in all areas. People are recycling their rubbish more to save themselves money, not burning. There are very few (although there are some) backyard fires that i ever see. People should report them. Anyway, most of the rubbish that you cant recycle wont burn properly, so if you tried to burn it you will only end up with a mess of a garden.

Imagine Fingal telling people with one breath that you have produce less waste or it will cost you
and then with the next complaining that they arent producing enough waste.

Back