€3000 pay increase for TDs??????

bb12

Just read this in the indo this morning. Is this really serious??? How on earth could Lenihan and Coughlan support this!!!!! What hope does this country really have when we have ministers with this attitude?

In fairness to the TDs this is not something they voted on or anything.

It is just the raise they get (same as any other civil servant apparently) when they reach 7 years in the job. Another comes along at 10 years. This is similar to a lot of jobs where you would get an increment at certain points if you stay in the same job.

Now having said that, they would get a lot of credit it, in the current climate, they refused to accept these raises. After all, if you are earning €100k then I don't think NOT getting the €3k extra will hurt too much. Perhaps they could agree to defer it for say 2 years until the coffers get a bit healthier.

Yes, good timing on this one alright - i'll wager they dont take it/get it by the time it comes around. There will be loads of pontificating over the next few weeks but they'll pass on it eventually...............for now.

The money spent on that raise would pay almost 8 peoples dole for a full year or vaccinate 130 girls with the cervical cancer vaccine.

Why do they have to wait till we get mad at them before they climb down on these issues? They should have come out straightaway and said there would be no question that they would accept this raise and instead would take an actual pay cut.

Surprised this is the first mention of it here. Disgusted, but not surprised.. .

It should of been cancelled. Dont care if its "the norm" but these are not normal times. Pension Levy's are not the norm, but they were brought in to try to swell the coffers. Whats good for the rest of us should be good for the politicians. What exceptional taxes and salary deductions are expected to be taken by the average family should be expected to be taken by those in politics. There is no credible excuse for this . .

I dont know when this was originally brought in, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was when bertie brought in benchmarking to buy the public sector votes . .

If anything, I think the salarys of T.Ds and politicians, is worth striking about. In the scale of things it may only save a couple of million, but if it gave the country a boost (in that they actually take some pain), it would be worth it as a gesture.

In fairness to the TDs this is not something they voted on or anything.
'Fairness' and 'TD' - in the same sentence?
lol.

These 'people' are so out of touch with reality it's incredible. This is quite simply legal theft. They've directly taken this money from us, to pay themselves even more money on top of their over-inflated wages. Meanwhile, I was in Dunnes yesterday, and noticed the local school kids have to beg for school equipment at the end of each till.

Back