€2000 for garden wall?

leukoshoopr

I'm looking to get a back garden wall built(Dublin) it's 21 x 6 feet
needs footing/ foundation
Got qoutes of 1950 and 2000- This normal?

How many blocks - standards or cavities will be used - I assume there is a foundation required also. You should expect to pay about €.50-.60 to buy a standard block & €0.80-€1 per block to lay it.

Morter may be about €150 per cubit mtr. Concrete for foundation perhaps €300-400.

Get a breakout of the cost.

ninsaga

Good luck getting a blocklayer to lay blocks for €0.80-1 to build a 21 x 6 foot wall..

Thanks- any tips on doing the foundation myself- have the 'trench' half dug-
1foot wide 1.5foot deep so far
what ratio is the mix?
should I hire a mixer?-where?
should I buy ready mix?-where? etc

Re: 2000 for garden wall?

your looking at needing over 1 metre of concrete. Thats around 20 barrows depending on the man. Look for a mini mix truck in your local area. Then get blocks cement and sand yourself. Just find a block layer then.

Yeah, I had my party wall blow over in storms a few years back-luckily the foundations were ok and the wall simply needed additional bracing when being rebuilt as it was built without any! Myself and the neighbour got the blocks and trowel ready mortar delivered and the blockie just turned up with his trowel and mate.

Seems ok if it includes foundations etc.

If it’s a 4inch wall then foundations are 6.3m long by .3m wide by .3m deep = 0.6 cubic m of concrete == approx €100 as it’s a small load.

136 blocks required again as it’s a small amount you probably pay €120

Mortar - a third of a ton = approx €30
Cement at a mix of 5:1 = 2 bags approx €10

Labour to dig trench and pour ready-mix = 1 day for a man.

Labour to remove soil from trench to other parts of garden and to bring in the 136 blocks from front of house to rear = 1 handy day.

Labour to mix your own mortar, build wall and have at least 3 breaks. 1 very handy day

Total cost Materials - €260
Labour €600
Total €860

Last edited:
If it’s a 4inch wall then foundations are 6.3m long by .3m wide by .3m deep = 0.6msquare of concrete == approx €100 as it’s a small load.

Thanks for the excellent breakdown hoopman- would you recommend ready mix for the above or hire a mixer,I'm on a tight buget but at the same time need to get it done asap and dont have the time/energy after work

trying do to most of the work myself- I understand now why brickies dont like doing the foundation -cause the trench is back breaking work

Leukoshoopr I would recomend the readymix as it is going to cost you just as much to buy the gravel, cement, hire of mixer and work involved in mixing the concrete.

Also I would order a full cubic metre of concrete as your foundation will have to be wider at either ends and the middle to allow for the wall to have piers.

HOOPMAN- can't thank you enough
you should change HOOP to SUPER cause you're great help
but then it wouldn't hint at where you go most fridays

Hope you dont mind if I P.M you if any more Qs need answers -
at the rate I'm going, a certain structure on the southside will be finished
before my little wall

koh!

Leukoshoopr, no need to PM questions, post them here and others may be able to help. The answers will also be of benefit to others in the same situation.
Leo

Hope you dont mind if I P.M you if any more Qs need answers -
at the rate I'm going, a certain structure on the southside will be finished
before my little wall

koh!

Keep at it leukosHOOPr, a job that size should never take more than 4 to 6 weeks lol ;)

Koh

Just finished digging the trench at last- setting out the frame now,almost ready for
pre-mix but just discovered they're closed for next 2 weeks
Just my luck that builders are allowed holidays

Nearly finished frame - 1foot deep by 1 foot wide
How wide should I have the ends and middle- planning on buying a standard block to match the exsisting wall which are about 90X190X390mm approx

For a wall 6ft high and 21 ft long I would have a pier at each end and two more piers equidistant between them. You don't want the wall blowing over!

Nearly finished frame - 1foot deep by 1 foot wide
How wide should I have the ends and middle- planning on buying a standard block to match the exsisting wall which are about 90X190X390mm approx

Sounds like your existing wall is built in metric blocks, I hav'nt seen them since my days in the workshop in Bolton Street.
Normal size blocks are usually 100mm X 215mm X 440mm plus 10mm added on to the eheight and length for mortar joint.

If they are metric blocks you will need more than the 136 blocks I qouted you.
You will need around 180 if your going to put 2 piers between the two end ones like Billk suggested, or 171 if you only put one pier in the middle between the piers that you will need at either end.

Personally a wall that long I would put a pier at either end and one in the middle, but hey the more piers the better for a sound job.

Where ever you are putting the piers, widen your foundation by 9 inches at the points and side of the wall that you are going to build your piers. and allow an extra 4 to 6 inches past the end of the piers also.

Oh by the way these are exact amount of blocks needed for the wall, so it would would be a good idea to order a few extra for breakages etc,
usually 10% is the norm.
KOH

Thanks BILLK and HOOP-

Hoopman -
Can't allow 4-6 inches past the end piers as the wall is going from concrete shed to house

All these figures and dimensions are hurting my little brain - on the upside
got a price of €180 for ready mixed concrete(1cu.m) delivered and €150 for the labour- everything has to be ready for him to just come in and lay the bricks

Also, a DIY book told me that if the trench gets flooded by rain I've to seek professional help- this has happened twice in a small section- What should I do

Back