€1800 to remove shed & concrete base - fair price?

HMC

I have been quoted c. €1800 (cash) to have a 9x11 shed, its concrete base and a narrow path leading to it removed. The quote includes turning over the entire garden area (approx 25ftx25ft) adding top soil and re-seeding the garden.
I don't know the first thing about work like this - does it sound like a fair price (for Co. Cork!) ?

For what it's worth, my initial reaction would be - expensive.

It's basically a 'labour' job and I can't imagine it would take that much time either - have you had other quotes?

ask for a breakdown - my take on this would be as follows :

skip hire - 380
kango hire - 75
prob 3-4 tonnes topsoil - 150 ?

that would leave labour costs at 1195 for 1 days work - I'll come down and do it for ya ;)

honestly you would be better investing in a bbq and 2 slabs of beer and getting a couple of mates over for a saturday with two or three wheelbarrows and you'll get it done much cheaper !

Thanks for the advice. What you both say makes a lot of sense, ie that it's basically a labour job. I'm hoping to get another quote this week.
I was told it would be two days' work, one to clear out the shed and take up the concrete and another to put in topsoil and re-seed.

labour in Cork at the moment is €200 per man per day.
Kinsale dump will not take construction waste anymore. I point this out so you can do a fair guestimation - have no idea how much equipment hire or insurance etc etc costs.

I have been quoted c. €1800 (cash) to have a 9x11 shed, its concrete base and a narrow path leading to it removed. The quote includes turning over the entire garden area (approx 25ftx25ft) adding top soil and re-seeding the garden.
I don't know the first thing about work like this - does it sound like a fair price (for Co. Cork!) ?

Just as an idea - we had loads of trees removed/topped etc. with all debris removed. 4 guys, working hard, about 10 hours a day for 3 days. Total cost was around €4000.

Compared to your work, €1800 sounds a lot.

seems a high price alright, if there was an estate somewhere near you being built, they might want to offload some topsoil, and you could slip a few quid to one the the builders for a dumper load...
again, if there is a landscaper doing the common area of an estate near you, he would prob do the job as well...only reason i'm saying this, is that i got my garden done by a guy that was doing th ecommon area in the estate i was buying in. i also put in a concrete base for my 10x8 garden shed and got some good filler material off one of the builders for the base, then put concrete over it and made a perfect base for the shed...

ask for a breakdown - my take on this would be as follows :

skip hire - 380
kango hire - 75
prob 3-4 tonnes topsoil - 150 ?

that would leave labour costs at 1195 for 1 days work - I'll come down and do it for ya ;)

honestly you would be better investing in a bbq and 2 slabs of beer and getting a couple of mates over for a saturday with two or three wheelbarrows and you'll get it done much cheaper !

I don't see how this is only a days work,

My estimate for 2 people:
a wooden shed into a skip - 3 hours
Break concrete base and path into skip (assume 4") - 5 hours
Move 3 tons topsoil into back garden - 2 hours
Spread topsoil, rake it out and reseed - 5 hours

Basically 2 days labour for 2 people - if they come recommended I would go with it.

Hi why not use the concrete base as a bbq area, maybe put decking over e300 remove of shed makes a nice fire lol

I don't see how this is only a days work,

My estimate for 2 people:
a wooden shed into a skip - 3 hours
Break concrete base and path into skip (assume 4") - 5 hours
Move 3 tons topsoil into back garden - 2 hours
Spread topsoil, rake it out and reseed - 5 hours

Basically 2 days labour for 2 people - if they come recommended I would go with it.

wow - would hate to have any of your guys working for me - 3 hours to dismantle a shed ! - i dismantled an 8 * 10 shed in 1 hour on my own (they only consist of 6 panels and if you're dumping it you can just bust it up). Brother in law and I kangoed out approx 16 metres2 of 30 year old footpath and filled into skip in approx 4 hours.

Back