Tenant chopped down exotic tree!

MissThing

I have rented an older property to retired tenants recently. This property located in the country, is surrounded by a huge lawn and mature hedges and tress - lovely and private. The tenants have cut down a very exotic mature tree which would have been about 25+ years old. I'm absolutely livid!!!! I would have no problem with them trimming hedges, making flower beds, planting etc. they indicated that they were green fingered when they came to view.

To my mind this is damage and as they had no permission, does this negate their damage deposit?

I've had an apologetic letter but I'm too fuming to respond. What are my options?

MT

Could it not be put down to an innocent mistake and tell them that any future changes have to be run by you. If it wasn't malicious I would look at it as very unfortunate but money won't bring it back and will only sour your relationship and more then likely lose you tenants.

Weigh up the chances of replacing the tenants at the same rental level ?? I know, I know that it was your tree which they cut down etc.etc. Would you be as livid if the wind blew it down or they accidentally drove into it and somebody was hurt. Tenants in cities are hard enough to find at present. In a rural area they are like hen's teeth. Are you in the property rental business or the tree mindng business ??

Could it not be put down to an innocent mistake ...

As in "Oh sorry, I didn't realize that taking a chain-saw to the tree would do that amount of damage" :confused:

I think the tenants need to pay to have the tree replaced, as painlessly as possible, maybe by adding an extra few quid to the weekly rent.

I'd be fuming.

They chopped down the tree to make room for their camper van, so it was deliberate and hardly annual pruning. This happened last week and the reason I found out was becasue they'd e-mailed me a photo of the 'tidying' they'd done and asked me to pay for some gravel to be laid down so its not mucky as they alight their camper. I can't bring myself to respond, (afriad of using CAPS LOCK N ALL!) I'm still fuming.

That wasn't the only chopping they did either they also murdered some pampas grass but the roots are still intact so in time will grow back.

I'm just ripping!

Well then rip away but you'll be crying when the property is empty for an age. Deduct it from the deposit -- very simple and effective and the last laugh will be with you.

As in "Oh sorry, I didn't realize that taking a chain-saw to the tree would do that amount of damage" :confused:

I think the tenants need to pay to have the tree replaced, as painlessly as possible, maybe by adding an extra few quid to the weekly rent.

I'd be fuming.

They mentioned they were green fingered, they were renting a rural dwelling, they may have thought that it was acceptable to cut a tree down and they may have mistaken the type of tree that it was, hence the innocent mistake - its not beyond the realms of possibility.

If you are renting a rural dwelling to a retired couple they may be looking at it very long term therefore I would not go adding to the cost of rent to replace a tree. If the OP is angry to the point of not being able to deal with them then maybe hand them their notice, still be down your tree and go look for new tenants. As hard as it is now to detach yourself from the emotions of what they have done it is necessary in order to properly run a business.

Did you make it clear what they could and couldn't do when they moved in? Did you determine who would be responsible for the gardening?

If you were happy enough to take them at their word when they said they were green fingered, then there is not much you can probably do.

I certainly would agree afterwards to pay someone for work they decided to undertake off their own bat.

I once made the mistake to let a tenant wallpaper a small bathroom - the result was horrible & took me a full day to take down the paper that was superglued to the wall. I'm very clear about what tenants can & can't do since.....but even still you get the odd things done - someone else painted an outside wall with gloss paint, which will now have to be maintained.

Last edited:
They mentioned they were green fingered, they were renting a rural dwelling, they may have thought that it was acceptable to cut a tree down and they may have mistaken the type of tree that it was, hence the innocent mistake - its not beyond the realms of possibility.

If you are renting a rural dwelling to a retired couple they may be looking at it very long term therefore I would not go adding to the cost of rent to replace a tree. If the OP is angry to the point of not being able to deal with them then maybe hand them their notice, still be down your tree and go look for new tenants. As hard as it is now to detach yourself from the emotions of what they have done it is necessary in order to properly run a business.

I'm not going to terminate their tenancy or anything like that - I honestly though I'd be over it by now and yes I'm hoping that they're going to rent the place for a long long time. The property location and amenity has ticked a lot of their boxes regards a home and for me a green fingered retired couple was a perfect fit for me. I thought their actions careless and thoughtless - yes its a only a tree albeit a very gorgeous one. Anyway, I just wanted to let off some steam I suppose, thanks everyone for your replies.

Hi Missthing
I appreciate that you must have been annoyed about the tree, but I think you should forgive them and carry on. Green fingered tenants are worth their weight in gold I think!

Nothing you can do - ask them to plant something else in its place - move on - life's to short

It is annoying and whats done is done but perhaps you can amend the lease/issue new lease with very clear instructions on what can/cannot be touched in the garden?

i'd be fuming too, but as has already been said you also need to keep your tenants.

If they hadn't cut down the tree, would there be anywhere else they could park their caravan?

you need to set some ground rules. and if you have to spell it out in detail, do. (eg, do not cut down any trees without my permission)

what kind of tree was it? you might be able to source one that's a few years old. i would also make sure they cover the cost of replacing it.

did you get references from them?

Your tenants are "green fingered". Of course they were aware that was a tree not alone a special tree. Not even I who would not know a tree from a shrub would dream of cutting down a tree on someone else's property. However it's done so the only thing you can do is to ensure they replace it with one of your choice.
Then you need to review the whole lease and see what changes need to be made both inside and outside the house

I agree, I would also be livid. They should have asked for permission. Black Sheep is quite correct.

When I sold my previous house, the first thing the new owner did was remove a beautiful old tree which must have been in the garden for 100 years - so she could sunbathe all day! If I'd known that she was going to do that I honestly wouldn't have sold the house to her!!

Back