Anglo Irish Bank Regular Saver Issue 1 - rate drop from 7% to 4.5% from 8th July 08

ClubMan

Just to flag this with other Anglo "7%" regular saver account holders. Time to stop contributing and move the money elsewhere perhaps?

See here.

Re: Anglo Irish Bank Regular Saver Issue 1 - rate drop from 7% to 4.5% from 8th July

Please don't duplicate posts :)

Re: Anglo Irish Bank Regular Saver Issue 1 - rate drop from 7% to 4.5% from 8th July

Just flagging it in a new thread since people may well miss it in the 8% regular saver thread.

Are you sure there are no penalties for early withdrawal?
The small print on the Anglo add in the Irish times says:

† No withdrawals allowed, not available for new applicants from close of business on 9th June 2008.

Once again Anglo are very quick to reply by email:
Dear ...,

Thanks again for your reply,

Please find attached copies of the terms and condition you requested.

Basically there are no charges for withdrawing all the funds on demand. You will get all the interest up until the day you close off the account without charge.

Also attached are our new rates.

I would suggest you look into the 6 month fixed at 5.35% or the Premium demand at 5.35 for balances up to 20k

Let me know is you need anything

Kind regards

I'm going to go with the Premium Demand account for the moment.

Thanks Clubman for keeping us informed!

Actually it was Crunchie in the other thread who kept me informed! :)

I was able to request the opening of a new Premium Demand account and the transfer of the balance of my Regular Saver Issue 1 "7%" account by email. Anglo support seems pretty pragmatic and very responsive.

I was able to request the opening of a new Premium Demand account and the transfer of the balance of my Regular Saver Issue 1 "7%" account by email. Anglo support seems pretty pragmatic and very responsive.

I think on the application form for the 8% account there was a place to sign to request opening that account and future accounts - this may be the facility that allows Anglo to set up the premium account now by email.

Well spotted - just checked the application form and see that clause now.

If I close my 7% account today, I ASSUME I will recieve the balance I paid in plus the 7% interest. Is this correct?

Yes - but remember that 7% is the annual rate and not all of your money will have been on deposit for a full year or more. So if you have n monthly contributions of €m in the account you cannot simply calculate the interest due as (n x €m) x 7% x number of years! Rather you need to use a calculator like this.

My Anglo account is still showing 7% online, Do Anglo have to give customers some sort of written notice before they can change the interest rate.

Do Anglo have to give customers some sort of written notice before they can change the interest rate.
Don't think so since it's a variable rate account and so the rate is subject to change. As far as I know the most that they might have to do is publish revised rates in the national newspapers.

Well spotted - just checked the application form and see that clause now.
Can you paste where on the application form for the 8% Regular Saver Account that there's a place to sign to request opening that account and future accounts? I'm looking at the current application form on the Anglo site and I don't see it. The link for the application form for the Premium Account has been down for a number of days now. (Application form currently in the post but email would obviously be a lot quicker). Thanks.

Thanks for the information, we opened this account close to a year ago & certainly would not have spotted the rate change in the paper.

It is very devious if they do not amend the details on the account page for users, ie people are saying it still shows 7%.

Correct link for premium saver form is
[broken link removed]

They are missing a / in the account opening link.

Per ClubMan, Reg saver has now been updated in Anglo Connect to show current rate online.

can You Paste Where On The Application Form For The 8% Regular Saver Account That There's A Place To Sign To Request Opening That Account And Future Accounts? I'm Looking At The Current Application Form On The Anglo Site And I Don't See It. The Link For The Application Form For The Premium Account Has Been Down For A Number Of Days Now. (application Form Currently In The Post But Email Would Obviously Be A Lot Quicker). Thanks.
download And Print [broken link removed]

• I/we Have Read And Agree To Be Bound By The Terms And Conditions Of Any Account Opened For Me/us.
  • I/we Authorise The Bank, Where Not Indicated Above, To Open An Easy Access, Premium Demand, 7 Day Notice, 30 Day Notice And/or Regular Annual Saver Account(s) In The Future On Our Verbal Or Written Request.

Thanks for the information, we opened this account close to a year ago & certainly would not have spotted the rate change in the paper.

It is very devious if they do not amend the details on the account page for users, ie people are saying it still shows 7%.
As I said above I think that the most that they (or any other bank) have to do in such circumstances is to publish the new rates in the national newspapers. I presume that the one day (?) delay in updating AngloConnect was probably just an IT system time lag issue or something like that. I don't think that they are trying to con people.
Per ClubMan, Reg saver has now been updated in Anglo Connect to show current rate online.

Disappointed to see the rate drop on the reg saver account. have to say it was probably the simplest most flexible reg savers account out there. Thankfull ythe new 8% account has most of the same features.

I have to complement Anglo. I phoned them yseterday to confirm the rate reduction and find out more about their premium demand account. Very conveniently I could close my old account and open a new one by email. Got a conformation email this morning. True no sign of any of these chances on the anglconnect website but I'm sure thats just a timing thing.

I've always found them helpful. When I overpaid inot one reg saver account (rather than splitting it between the two) one phonecall solved the issue. We complain alot about the service we get from Irish banks but from my experience Anglo deserve some praise.....

and no I don't work for them!!

Back