Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Work, Careers, Employment rights, further education/training

Old 02-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

Default Entitled to unemployment benefit or grant if I go back to college?

I am thinking of going back to college as a mature student , I already have a level 7 diploma in chemistry which i got in 2003.I havent been working since last august as I went back to do my degree full time ,however I left at christmas because I didnt like the course and what I want to do now is what I should have went back to do instead ,the problem is i will be 30 soon and this will take another 4 years fulltime study to complete but im prepared to bit the bullet and go for it as its something that interests me greatly.The problem is that its a tough course so working parttime will be tough but I still intend to get a few hours parttime work somewhere.I have been on unemployment benefit since and I was wondering if I could stay on it if I go back to college at xmas and also get the grant
Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: Am I entitle to unemployment benefit or gran if I go back to college

So basically you want unemployment benefit, student grant and work part-time? While you return to college as a mature student? Biting the bullet really?

I'm not an expert but I seriously doubt you can claim all that. Why do you think you should be able to get unemployment benefit while students who are in say their late teens, early 20's cannot, just because your 30?

BountyHunter
Old 02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: Am I entitle to unemployment benefit or gran if I go back to college

Because you already have an undergraduate qualification, you cannot get Back to Education Allowance, (at any rate you would have had to be signing on for 12 months). You cannot get jobseekers benefit (the dole), as you will be a student.

Also, I thought you couldn't get the grant once you drop out of a previous course, and you are not eligible for free fees. I know there is a time limit on this, but I thought you had to drop out in the first term, in order to get another shot at the grant and free fees.