Bloody shop assistants - rant

PMU

Is there a national policy of hiring thick ignorant gob-daws as shop assistants in Dublin?

Is being a slack-jawed acne-faced thicko an essential qualification?

I went into town today to blow some cash on a gent’s overcoat, which was a most dispiriting exercise, as it was largely taken up with standing around being ignored in shops by the shop assistants. It’s not that they were overworked, it’s just that nobody was interested in taking my money.

It’s not that difficult to sell clothes, especially to men, as most of it is just sucking up to the customer. So I wanted to spend but nobody wanted to suck.

The level of service was abysmal, almost as bad as in Belgium.

In the end I got what I wanted (with an extra 10% discount on top of the sale price), but the whole exercise was more like work than a pleasurable experience.

I’m sick and tired of shopkeepers complaining about how hard times are when their staff clearly lack the basic training to make a customer welcome, assess their needs and suggest suitable products.

(I also wish to make it clear that all the shop assistants I met, or rather who ignored me, were Micks and none were Eastern Europeans who, imhe, are usually very attentive and good at their jobs).

I don't understand how now in Ireland people are lauding Eastern Europeans for somehow being "friendlier" in their roles as shop assistants. My most recent visit home as an education that an ignorant twit is an ignorant twit, whether they're from Gdansk or Galway.

In general folks working in retail need training, and it has to happen from management down. Otherwise the whole thing is a mess.

I don't understand how now in Ireland people are lauding Eastern Europeans for somehow being "friendlier" in their roles as shop assistants. My most recent visit home as an education that an ignorant twit is an ignorant twit, whether they're from Gdansk or Galway.

In general folks working in retail need training, and it has to happen from management down. Otherwise the whole thing is a mess.

I agree entirely.

The OP said "[FONT=&quot]but the whole exercise was more like work than a pleasurable experience." - shopping is always like hard work! (unless it's for electronics and you have a wedge of cash weighing you down)[/FONT]

Hang on - are you referring to the customer or the sales assistant here?

I couldn't agree more the level of service in Irish retail is absolutely shocking.

However Irish staff can provide excellent customer service as I witnessed being looked after by Irish backpackers in shops / restaurants during a recent holiday in Australia, which proves it comes down to management and ethos within the store.

The majority of shop owners / managers in Ireland need to seriously re-evaluate staff training and focus on customer service as a priority, other wise what is to differentiate their business for a customer who can easily go on-line to buy most products.

For a shining example of how customer service should be done, I'd recommend going shopping in Singapore :)

seriously re-evaluate staff training and focus on customer service as a priority,
Maybe they have evaluated this.
It could be the case that the overhead of extra training etc, simply isn't worth it because;
1. People are going to buy the stuff anyway.
2. All that training etc, will go to waste when the employee leaves in three months time.

Consider as well that all the training in the world won't change the attitude of some people, so why bother?

What help did you need to choose a coat? :confused:

I was thinking the same thing. I also wonder if the OP tried to gain the attention of the sales staff or did he just stand around waiting for someone to approach him?

maybe they were giving the original op a chance to look around without making op feel pressured to have to buy something (hard sell) .if i want something i find them otherwise they should stay away from me .hate if they are pushy

Was in B&Q recently and asked at the desk where did they keep their socket sets - they sent me down to the electrical dept!!!

My least favourite shop though is Atlantic.
Recently one 'assistant' told me that they had lost four members of staff in one day - when I inquired as to why, he replied that they had gone back to college to repeat exams!

Maybe they have evaluated this.
It could be the case that the overhead of extra training etc, simply isn't worth it because;
1. People are going to buy the stuff anyway.
2. All that training etc, will go to waste when the employee leaves in three months time.

Consider as well that all the training in the world won't change the attitude of some people, so why bother?

1) People do not have to buy from your shop, if they have a choice of similar products from another with better service, they will go there. If they don't it means a competitor could establish themselves and take sales from you.

2) By focusing on training, you improve staff morale, which will lead to lower staff turnover.

3) People whose attitude can't be changed, should not be hired.

Now here is the good bit

1) Better customer service increases sales and customer loyalty.
2) Better staff training lowers staff turnover, which increases profitability.
3) Better customer service can allow prices to be increased.

[FONT=&quot] So I wanted to spend but nobody wanted to suck. The level of service was abysmal, almost as bad as in Belgium. In the end I got what I wanted (with an extra 10% discount on top of the sale price), but the whole exercise was more like work than a pleasurable experience.[/FONT]
You done well to get an extra 10% discount on top of the sale price, so why complain so much ? If you went in to a restaurant and complained and negiotated 10% off a sale price on a meal, in the real world do you think the waiter or waitress would always be as nice as possible to everyone they met thereafter - or would want to suck everyone / to everyone as you put it ? Most shop assistants are only paid a fraction of public service wages for example, and do not have the same level of job security, pensions etc....yet in my experience most shop assistants are perfectly friendly and courteous. They are just doing a job.

1) People do not have to buy from your shop, if they have a choice of similar products from another with better service, they will go there. If they don't it means a competitor could establish themselves and take sales from you.
Not always the case. Often location or branding is what counts. There could also be a 'cartel of bad service' across similar shops.

2) By focusing on training, you improve staff morale, which will lead to lower staff turnover.
Many shop assistants are college students. How are you going to stop these people from leaving?

3) People whose attitude can't be changed, should not be hired.
Maybe they are the best staff you can get. Over the last few years, it has been pretty difficult to hire staff.

I have to admit I have been frustrated by bad service myself. Picture, upstairs at the counter of Boots Chemist at the Jervis Street shopping centre. I walk to up develop some photos from my disposable camera. The thick ( and Irish to our shame) assistants behind the counter see me standing there like a big oak tree in the desert but they continue a non work related conversation for 5 or 10 minutes before attending to me. During this time they are close enough that I could brush their hair. Then they dont even make eye contact or smile. I have a major problem with that.
I have never had a problem with bad service from a foreigner under these types of circumstances. I think the staff in Boots are long term as I've seen them many times before. Perhaps its' because the foreigners are moving onto bigger and better things. Perhaps its that most Irish people who take on this sort of job on as a long term career would have a low skill set and this would include a low capacity and intelligence for dealing with such interactions successfully. Hence having a low emotional intelligence. Thats one possibility. This is not to say that all Irish staff encountered have been bad. I have one really bad memory from Boots to share with you. That is all :).

Was in B&Q recently and asked at the desk where did they keep their socket sets - they sent me down to the electrical dept!!!
Sounds like that Two Ronnies "Fork handles/four candles etc." hardware store confusion sketch!

Some fairly sweeping generalisations/asumptions there...
The thick ( and Irish to our shame) assistants behind the counter ...

Perhaps its' because the foreigners are moving onto bigger and better things. Perhaps its that most Irish people who take on this sort of job on as a long term career would have a low skill set and this would include a low capacity and intelligence for dealing with such interactions successfully. Hence having a low emotional intelligence.
I don't see how you can reasonably infer "low emotional intelligence" from this experience.
I have a major problem with that.
So did you complain and/or take your custom elsewhere?

My pet hate is the supermarket/Spar/Centra/Easons shop assistants who manage to complete an entire transaction without a nano-second of eye contact with the customer.

For highly trained, efficient, knowledgeable staff in the DIY/Hardware sector I believe that Decwell's in Georges Street really stands out. Was not at all surprised that this store won the Retailer of the Year Award from the Hardware/DIY trade magazine despite opposition from the likes of B & Q, Woodies, Atlantic, Homebase, etc. I have been a customer there for about 10 years & their "Can Do" attitude is really unique.

Back