Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Homes and gardens

Old 19-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default Gas cooker disposal

Can anyone tell me how to dispose of a gas cooker?? I am getting delivery of my new one next week and I have no idea what to do with the current one. Those I bought it off were no help.

Jack
Old 19-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: Gas cooker disposal

So far as I'm aware, if you buy electrical/electronic equipment, retailers have to take back for recycling a similar item. You're charged a "WEEE" fee whether or not you bring your old item to the shop. This page may help: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...onic_equipment

Generally the County Council websites have helpful information as to where goods may be recycled, here's Cork's one: http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/Cork%2...ycling%20Guide
Old 20-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Frequent Poster

When we replaced our kitchen recently, we found homes for all our old appliances (and windows, doors, toilet!) on Jumbletown.ie. Our gas hob had one non-working ring but it still went like a shot. It helps if you can upload a photo so people know what they're getting.
Old 20-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Frequent Poster

A gas cooker isnt covered under the WEEE charge, electric cookers on the other hand are tho.
Old 21-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

Bob I think you are right. WEEE is only electrical items. Hard to believe that nothing was put in place for items other than electrical. I must give Jumbletown.ie a chance. Seems like a great site. Brilliant idea.
Lads thanks for all your advice. I will leave you know how I get on.

Jack
Old 21-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Frequent Poster

Yes Jumbletown rocks! I've tried Freecycle and adverts.ie (freestuff section) but for some reason Jumbletown is a tight-run ship and the folk I've met through it have all been totally genuine and reliable. Someone's calling here this afternoon to collect an old - but working - computer monitor that I put on Jumbletown yesterday. It seems there's always someone somewhere who wants your cast-offs. I'll bet your cooker's gone within a few days!