Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Homes and gardens

Notices

Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Curtains - Pole vs (Pull-string?)

Want to change my sitting room curtains because of recent redecoration. Currently I have those that are pleated at the top and are opened/closed by pulling a cord. While I'm changing the curtains, I thought I might change over to a pole - where you just hook the curtain onto the pole and away you go. (I'm sure both of these methods have 'technical' names, but just can't think of them!!). Anyway, the pole system seems so much easier to deal with, but is there any good reason why I shouldn't change over? Is there anything that I'm missing that might mean my current curtain system is best?
Ta
Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Frequent Poster

Default Re: Curtains - Pole vs (Pull-string?)

I think that your current system is better because you do not need to handle the curtains to open and close them and so have less chance of soiling them with wet or greasy hands.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 PM

I much prefer the pole for ease of use.

The only problem that you might encounter is if you had very heavy curtains with lining and possibly not enuf support for the pole.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Frequent Poster

I was hoping to have heavy lined curtains as it is the main front room in the house. The only thing I have against the (pull string? thingy) is having to thread the loops of the new curtains onto the receptors that are on the current system. Is there some rule of thumb? I just count the number of receptors that I have, and divide that into the number of thread loops available on the curtains and take it from there. Then of course you have to pull the thread so that everything is even, before tying a knot in it and finishing the job. Is this the only way to do it, or is there some 'secret' way that I don't know about??
Ta
Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 PM

Your present system seems about right. I only mentioned about the rail in case you intend using a particularly light one. Some of the wooden ones might have been weaker. I have seen poles where the support arm was not fitted in the centre and this caused the pole to dip in the middle.

The most important thing is to tie a knot on each curtain tape in the spot where the curtains meet before you pull the strings. Disaster if you don't because it entails rethreading. IMHO cord tidies are a waste of time.

You can always buy extra receivers for the hooks if you find that the curtains do not sit right. I find it takes a while for the curtains to settle in!

You might find something useful here Rufflette or here Hickeys or here Harry Corry.

If you need to know anything else give me a shout.