Key Post: House Insurance

E

Elcato

Where is the best place to find good value House insurance.

Re: house insurance

The cheapest quote I got for home insurance (out of around a dozen) came from Jardine Lloyd Thompson via www.rollercoaster.ie this included a 25% discount for the first year only.

Unfortunately it had taken so long to arrive that I had already signed up with 123.ie which was second cheapest.

AA, barker.ie and solmon.com were all good.

HOUSE INSURANCE

I did a lot of shopping around this year for house Insurance. A broker called Top Quote Direct (number in the golden pages) beat the other companies by around £30, and because I accepted an excess of £250 instead of £50, they shaved another £20 off the premium.

Home Insurance

Have you tried the Banks - AIB offer very good home insurance

Re: Home Insurance

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Tigger<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> wrote.....

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> The product is the same…..<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

There are likely to be some differences that a trained professional may spot. However, whether such differences are applicable to you, or indeed relevant to your circumstances, only such an advisor could say.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> I am still waiting to hear from my Broker for this year……<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->

There is no legal obligation on a broker or insurer to advise you that renewal is due, but it certainly makes for bad business practice on their part, and a certain lack of professionalism.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> I always understood Brokers were to get the best deals for their clients…..<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->
To be fair to the broker, the ‘best deal’ does not always equate to lowest cost. Much depends on terms of the covers (which differ widely between insurers), the strength of relationship with the insurer concerned (for dealing with contentious claims or underwriting matters), and – fundamentally - the all-important claims service. Few brokers will re-broke every house/car policy every year, unless you instruct them specifically to do so.

If price is the only factor in your choice of insurer, then expect to shop around every year, and be prepared for non-payment of ‘borderline’ claims and potential difficulty should you need to arrange non-standard or unusual cover at any time.

Best answer of all should come from your regular insurance broker if you were to ask face-to-face "What does your firm do for me?".

Wings

House Insurance Quote - EUR or IR£?

Thank you for your comments. While I do realise that the "product" with regard to house insurance varies from one company to another and that lowest cost doesn't always equal the best "value"; I do find it difficult to accept the huge range of premiums demanded for quite similiar policies, the "extras" offered were just not worth the increased premium asked - not for my fairly basic requirements anyhow. However I imagine some clients have the requirements of cover for expensive foodstuffs in the the freezer or vintage port, wine and champagne in the basement etc. . . . . . .:)

Credit Unions normally offer the cheapest cover across the board, they use Church and General and get good bulk discounts. You have to be a member which simply meand investing €5 with them

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Hi <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> Sarah<!--EZCODE BOLD END-->,

As I understand it - and I may be wrong - the League of Credit Unions have a scheme with Royal & Sun Alliance.

However, when Allianz (Church & General) failed to make it on to the 'panel', they contacted most/all the individual CU's directly, and made arrangements on a Union by Union basis.
Many CU's, however, stayed with Royal & Sun Alliance.

Therefore, AAM readers may be offered one or other of these company's products via their CU, depending on their location.

My information may be out-of-date, coming from 2000/2001.

Wings

Unspecified All Risks & Specified Risks

Liam,
Define the difference between unspecified all risks and for example specified risk for example on wedding rings in a house insurance policy.
Which is best?

Re: Unspecified All Risks & Specified Risks

As far as I know, unspecified all risks cover usually has a maximum limit per item, possibly in the region of €500-€1000 per item. If a specific item like an engagement ring with a specific value is listed on the policy, then that item will be covered up the specified value.

Re: Unspecified All Risks & Specified Risks

Also - specified all risks cover is generally cheaper, but it's less comprehensive as it only covers the named item. Many people have their most valuable possessions specified, and a certain amount of unspecified cover.

Limitations of Specified Risks vs Unpecified All Risks

The limitation of using specified risk cover is that items that such as engagement rings are subject to valuation and this must be factored into the value palced on the item for insurance purposes. ACork jeweller recently quoted a price of 1% for valuation. Unspecified risk cover provides more scope in this regard. What are your thoughts?

Re: Limitations of Specified Risks vs Unpecified All Risks

Hi Tomas - On my policy, the 'unspecified risk' cover has a limit per item/article - something like €500 - so it wouldn't provide more cover than the specified risk for items which exceed this value.

On the rare occasions when I've bought expensive jewellery, I've got a valuation with the purchase to avoid having to pay out at a later stage. The jewellers are much more co-operative and flexible when they are trying to make a sale!

My home/contents insurance is due for renewal at the end of September and I was doing the annual shopping around and thought the different quotes obtained made for interesting reading. My required level of cover was €150K on buildings (based on the SCS guide to rebuilding costs and allowing margin for error since only 2001 figures) and 25% (c. €37K) on contents, accidental damage if available and not all risks or other special cover. Unless otherwise stated this is the cover provided by the relevant premiums. My current insurer is AA/Royal & Sun Alliance and based on the figures below I'll be staying with them for a seventh successive year unless somebody can recommend a better deal (3 bed terraced house, standard construction, D7, no alarm, smoke alarms, mortice deadlocked doors, keylocked windows, neighbourhood watch, no claims).

www.aaireland.ie

Cover: €158K (buildings) + €31K (contents) [£125K + £25K] with accidental damage

Premium: €285

Underwriter: Royal & Sun Alliance

www.123.ie

Premiums:
€415 no accidental damage
€448 with accidental damage
€371 with €500 excess
€401 with €500 excess & accidental damage

www.just4u.ie

Premium:€491

www.mortgagesonline.ie

Cover: €191K + 30% (€57K) [£150K + 30%]

Premium: €408 (assumes alarm 10% discount)

Underwriter: Hibernian

Premiums:
€403.55
€361 with €500 excess
€435 with accidental damage
€389 with accidental damage & €500 excess

[broken link removed]

Premium: €482

Premium: €409

Underwriter: Eagle Star

[broken link removed]

Premiums:
€517
€522 with accidental damage

www.rollercoaster.ie

Form submission failed :|

Re: AA

My policy is "Homesure". I can only see "Safehome" listed on [broken link removed]. Do you know what the differences between these two products are? For what it's worth I'm happy enough with the cover provided by this policy (as detailed in the policy document). And, no - I didn't get an "old age" discount! :lol

Re: House Insurance

Yes - you only need to insure a property for the cost of rebuilding and the chances of this being estimated to be exactly the same as the market value are probably slim. Bring the SCS ready reckoner table along to your bank and see what they say. Did you receive a copy of the lender's valuation survey yet (which includes their surveryor's estimate of the reinstatement cost)? Are you buying the insurance from the lender or shopping around for it elsewhere? While you should make sure that you insure the buildings for the appropriate amount you should not be afraid to query things such as this with your lender and haggle if necessary.

Contents insurance for rented property

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get contents insurance whilst living in rented accommodation? Having problems getting anyone to even give me a quote. Thanks.

Back