30 things to do with your SSIA - review

Humpback

Re: Want to appear on Hobbs' new SSIA TV programme?

Anyone watch this programme last night? I watched about the first 10minutes but just wasn't able to continue. Thought it was poor stuff.

Eddie seemed to be offering the audience a stand-up routine, rather than sound financial advice. My heart sank when I saw him donning makeup and impersonating a dodgy estate agent. Pretty poor stuff. Great book though.

Got through about 15 minutes of it. Seems Eddie fancies himself as a bit of a comedian these days! Complete rubbish.

Yes. More a comedy show than anything else. But I enjoyed it. Eddie is a good laugh.

Billo

Think he dropped the level to try and draw in as wide a target audience as possible. Lots of SSIAs coming up with people who've never before investigated potential investments.

Can't say I thought any of it was sound financial advice, but hopefully he did enough to point a few in the right directions to start seeking sound advice.

[It's next to impossible to give one fits all financial advice. Some sound-bites possibly (Jewellery is shopping not an investment) could be generic, but it's tough to go into too much detail without losing the attention of a huge proportion of the audience and possibly leading some down a route not suitable to specific situations]

I couldn't watch it to be honest. It came across as Sesame Street Does Money without the education. The country bumpkin\cute hoor thing should have been buried decades ago. It's scary to think that is deemed to be the required level to communicate with the target audience.

Who has won a drunken cheer,
The witty man and his joke
Aimed at the commonest ear,
The clever man who cries
The catch-cries of the clown

I watched this last night and was really disappointed. Anyone I spoke to this morning said the same thing. The emphasis was far too much on comedy and not factual content. There was very little real advice except some basics like if you are buying foreign property make sure you research research research! I expected so much more - hopefully the next two shows might be better

I thought the show had a few laughs but little else.

I think a few laughs is being generous. Maybe I was cringing too much and missed the comedy moments.

What can I tell ya.........I've a generous nature! :D

Actually, I think the problem was that he tried to follow the format used for Rip Off... He had a wealth of products and services to discuss in that show. This one is about a specific product. I suppose the argument could be made that although this is the case, there is a vast array of products which SSIA money can be spent on but this was lost on me! I was expecting financial advice with a few laughs thrown in.........not Benny Hill!!:eek:

I think a few laughs is being generous. Maybe I was cringing too much and missed the comedy moments.
Sounds a bit like The Office, Extras, Curb Your Enthusiasm or Peep Show. I might have a goo next week! :D

I watched it last night and was supprised in that it was worse than I thought it would be and that was hard, very hard. I think eddie has started to belive his own publisity at this stage and has become just a media personality, pity realy.

it was terrible. I could only handle around 15 minutes of it. I feel ripped off that I'll never get those 15 minutes back. they were robbed from me !

Allowing for the fact that it's hard to give one size fits all advice isn't there already some serious issues viz a viz commonly accepted principles he's outloned in the past.

Surely clearing outstanding personal debt should be much higher up the list for example

Even allowing for having a laugh the guy is wellrecognised and a surely still governed by the regulator as an authorised intermediary etc. so can't just be slapstic...what if people act on some of the more stupid bits

I hit the wall at 15 minutes as well. I watched Nos. 30 and 29 and when 28 was gender change - I just switched off.

But do remember that it is not aimed at the reasonably well informed which should be anyone who has been lurking around Askaboutmoney for a little while.

It seems to have been better live. The audience were really cracking up.

Brendan

what if people act on some of the more stupid bits

Damn it yes, yet again I must call for the government to bring in that legislation to protect people from their own stupidity. If the government don't stop them, who will.

I've called for it many times here before. Why must I repeat myself so much. This country needs a law to protect stupid people from their own actions.

Only this morning I had to go out and stop my sister from paying a booking deposit on getting a sex change.

I obviously started to 'space out' half way through!! I don't even remember the sex change bit!! :eek:

It seems to have been better live. The audience were really cracking up.

This is what confused me. I was at the recording of the 2nd episode - next week. That one, at the time, came across pretty well, and definitely not in any way as cringworthy as last night.

Here is my number one thing to do with your SSIA:

1.Have a "bertie style whip around" and pay Eddie Hobbs to shut up!!!!

Back