Key Post: Best baby present

Henny Penny

What is the best baby present you ever received? A practical friend of mine gave me a few big boxes of nappies ... very welcome. A snow suit for a spring baby was also welcome (when they were gone from the shops). Any other good presents worth mentioning? Some friends of mine are due to have babies in the next few months and I'm just trying to be imaginative in my present giving. Thanks.

Re: Best baby present

When my best friend had her baby, I bought a baby changing bag and filled it with all the usual, (nappies, wipes, cotton wool, lotions, baby bath, baby milk, dummies, etc), €10 in 50c pieces for the phone, cigarettes!, a decent book and a voucher to get her hair done. This way I covered ALL bases!!

Clothes are nice - but everyones taste is different and you never know, (til they arrive) whether they'll fit.

What about a voucher for a meal for two and free babysitting? Or maybe arrange a rota between a few of you to clean the house and sort out the washing/ironing for a few weeks when your friend comes home. (Always gratefully received!!)

When my cousin had her baby last year myself and my mam made a hamper with nappies, bottles, baby wipes and all the little things and she said it was the best present she got because there was stuff in it she never taught of buying.

I got a lovely thick baby towel, one of my favorite pressies. I think vests and babygros are great presents, I didn't get any of either but they are always needed.

I second the hamper. Especially if its their first baby. My sister got me a wicker toy box filled to the brim with all the goods I needed for the job, including things I didn't know even existed (snot extractor)

I got friends a travel cot in argos it was not that dear plus it can double as a play pin.

You offer to babysit for the parents free of charge at any time or do an hour or two cleaning around the house !!!

Hamper is nice but as with baby clothes I'd say most people are likely to have most of the contents already and it just ends up as clutter. Now a hamper for the parents would be nice but thats expensive.

We always give clothes for 6-9 months or older as they're not likely to have any yet - just make sure you calculate the season correctly.

best baby present we got was from my sister a voucher for a local photographer for first family photo which looks great on the wall ,its so easy to put it off yourself due to all the things that come with a new baby but looking back now its a lovely moment to catch in time. life is a journey not a destination ;)

I usually get clothes for 6-9 months. You'll find they get LOADS for newborn and 3-6months and TBH the baby will most likely spend the first couple of weeks in a baby gro anyway! Personalised blanket might be nice or gro bag or hooded bath robe. Check out ...

[broken link removed]

or for baby hampers... incl. some lovely ones with Champagne for the Mum & Dad!

[broken link removed]

Job lots of valium and prozac maybe??
Seriously though, if your'e going to get baby clothes,get something in the 6-18 month range,taking care to get clothes appropriate for that time of year.Something for both parents would be nice too, as they seem to be forgotten about-The idea of a promise to babysit is devinitelu a good one!!

d

Don't get a pink nylon tutu age 0-3months. We have a spare one, never worn.:rolleyes:

Vests and baby gro's are great - most baby clothes gifts don't get worn. They either are impossible to put on (don't open wide enough or in the right places) or they are so fancy that you keep them 'for good' and they are either forgotten about or puked on before they have been admired by granny etc. I once received a raincoat for a 6 month old that had to be dry cleaned!The best clothes gifts were things chosen by other mums of babys - who knew what to look out for.
Muslin squares are boring but brilliant.
Cuddly towels with a hood in the corner.
Leather bootees (such as Daisy Roots ) are cute and practical - but at approx 25 euro mums may not buy them themself.
Don't buy cuddly toys - very few are ever played with. However some toys are brilliant and will get lots of use. A baby gym or cot activity toy would be good. Almost anything from The Early Learning Centre is good.

We got a gift of a musical mobile (Fisher Price) for our first child, which was great as it really helped to send her off to sleep at night. However the mobile had a voracious appetite for batteries ( 4 no. "Ds" at about €10 a pop) so we spent a lot of money on batteries! This time round I've invested in a charger and a load of rechargeable batteries for this and all the other battery operated gizmos that children receive as presents. Not a very "glamorous" gift maybe but I think a charger and a host of rechargeable batteries would be a practical present for the more "practical" new parents!

I got a personalised bathrobe for a baby on www.babygifts.ie, they also do personalised bathtowels & gift boxes

(I'm not affiliated to the site in any way)

Having just had #2 (after over a decade gap !) we are newly discovering what is on offer. From money received from relatives we bought Tiny Love activity gym - it is brilliant and comes in a carry case so v. portable and priced at Euro 40 in Roches (some shops sell them for 50 so watch out!). Also a Tiny Love mobile which was a huge hit. We have also just bought a 'Meggy' travel cot / play pen which is brightly coloured - much nicer than the boring but trendier mamas and papas versions. At Euro 50 it was well worth it. Before rushing out and getting that type of stuff though it's worth checking whether parents have already bought them in .
Oh - if you are going to do a basket for the baby include the boring but brilliant silcocks base and a tiny little comb in case of cradle cap.
Baby listeners are also a great gift and we bought them from a gift card that we were given.
probably the 'best' present to be honest is gift cards as the parents can pick out what they want .

Hi,

I do a large selection of hand made fleece cosi-toes / footmuffs, and an even bigger selection or personalised items like bathrobes, baby gro's, baby bath sets that would include a hooded towel, bathrobe, bib & mitt, and much more.

If you would like [edit: further details, please pm me]
Rgds

Caroline

Back