Key Post: Wooden Windows

A

anka1

Hi

Am currently investigating wooden window suppliers for a house we are building.

I am particularly interested in the type that are wooden on inside and aluminium on the outside - has anyone out there got these? How do you find them?

I have not got quotes as of yet but expect them to be quite expensive. Any advise on best suppliers?

The alternative is wooden windows no aluminium facing - I am just terrified of the amt. of maintenance required and am scared of heights so can't see the upstairs windows even being maintained!!!

Any comments appreciated.

Anka

Re: Wooden Windows in a New Build

Hi,

Marvin Architectural no longer supply timber windows without aluminium cladding. They say that people weren't maintaing the fully timber windows so I suppose they were getting a bad name?

As far as I know they are at the top end of the market but this might not bother you! They do have different colors, nice cream ones etc. Nice fittings too and they do sash.

Also, I think Carlson windows would have aluminium trim whcih directs the rain away from problem areas. Nice pictures on www.carlson.ie/. I had a quote from them which was about 20% more expensive that going for fully timber pine windows.

Wooden Windows in a New Build

Hi

Thanks for that - Marvin are hugely expensive - did you go for the pine windows in the end? Can I ask the number of windows you installed etc and the price you were quoted - I am looking at about 20 big picture windows and 3 sets of Frend doors.

Were the ones you went for also from Carlson or other supplier ?

Anyone else supplying the aluminium clad windows that you know of?

Thanks
Anka

windows

Make sure you get the technical data sheet of the timber preservatives . Many are not suitable for interior use . Some companies import the profiles from the US where these chemicals are banned for the home market .
When you have this information check the US department FDA about the substance (web). I was lucky to do that because the windows which I was looking for from the states where hazardous waste before they where even produced but on offer by an Irish company .
I think the windows you are looking at ( alu/ timber ) are made by a danish (?) company : " RATIONEL "

Alu Clad Windows

I obtained a quote from Roco (Scandinavian Windows and Doors) in Waterford for alu clad timber windows.

I considered the quote very high but accept that our design has extensive glazing included however I would be very interested in other alu clad companies if anyone has names (other than Marvin mentioned already who I will try for comparison at least)

Re: Alu Clad Windows

I've bought Marvin windows and found them excellent- the price of their french doors were scandalous but as I ordered windows of a fairly standard size, I found the price compared fairly reasonably to other quotes. They are expensive if you order unusual sizes though.

Re: Wooden Windows in a New Build

Try Rationel, Leo Wrights (Milltownpass) and Carlson.

Re: Wooden Windows

Another post

PGD
Frequent poster
(4/2/04 11:31 am)
supplier recommendations - timber windows

Hi,

I had two quotes for Scandinavian pine windows, from www.carlson.ie/ and [broken link removed].

I got the impression that Carlson were more clued into what I wanted, whereas Wright might have been 80% PVC and 20% timber, in terms of business they do.

The Carlson quote was about 15-20% higher.

supermammy
Unregistered User

Timber windows- any recommendations?

We need to replace windows on our house, and have got 3 quotes on PVC, but I'm not happy with how they look and am now looking at timber windows. I want as low maintenance windows as possible and something that will withstand the Irish climate. Does anyone have recommendations? Or indeed names of companies that I shouldn't go near?

Thanks.

gortfad
windies

Try the following but you will be paying quite a bit more for the wood and I'm afraid you'll have to get out with the brush at least every three years if not more.

[broken link removed]

www.marvin-architectural.com/

Cavanagh Joinery (Navan, look in the phone book)

www.woodlock.co.uk/
Woodlock joinery (woodlock.co.uk I think - Omagh)

Wooden windows - what's your experience

Hi, I've resurrected this topic in the hope I can get some opinions on the various wooden windows. I've so far looked at:

Marvin composite. Fabulous windows, definitely the best we've seen, but at the dearest price. Is it really worth if for the low maintenance? (And of course the look).

Wrights Windows. Pine windows look great, not sure company/sales rep was totally familiar with the wooden window concept. Anyone had Wrights install the windows and how has it worked out? How is the maintenance's on them - is it really every 3 years or more often for re-varnishing.

Rationel - quote quite competitive. Rep has yet to call around for me to see the windows. (I've been 2 weeks waiting. Doesn't inspire me with confidence)

Carlson - extremely competitive quote, but it didn't include removal of old and fitting of new!!! Have to call to factory (weeks days only) to see. Are these windows good - is it worth calling to see them?

Nordan - quite quite good also. Have to call to factory to see. Also weren't able to provide me with more than one customer to see samples in situ. Makes me nervous.

Any info on these windows would be really welcome. It's a huge expense and it's really hard to know if you are making the right choice.

Thanks

Re: Wooden windows - what's your experience

Windows are the eyes of your house. Don't skimp on them.

And don't begrudge having to "go to them" rather than having them come to you. It's always good to visit the manufacturing site and meet the people and see the shopfloor for yourself. Sometimes this shows you immediately why costs are higher/lower. When a salesman comes to your house you get only the sales pitch. When you go to him, yeah, you get the pitch but you also see the production environment and get an impression about what the company will do with your money (e.g. invest it back in the company, creating more and better products, or invest in the MD's salary and perks - check the car park!).

Wood is good.

but it didn't include removal of old and fitting of new!!!

Hmmmm....

I think they have a sister company called Dansk Ltd that does supply & fix

Might depend on where you are & the size of the job ... if its an issue you might give them a call

Re: >>Wooden Windows

Hi,

Has any one gone with Carlson Windows. They will not make a side opening window greater than 800mm which means that one has to go for a top hung/swing. What is their showroom like?

W.

Hi All,

Rationel,Carlson all good quality but too big for a good service.
If you want composite windows and doors (alu and wood) try out Harmon Vinduer at [broken link removed]
They only do the high quality windows, no UPVC.
It takes a while for a quote but its worth it as they were still in the ball park.
They helped a lot when it came to changing the look to what i wanted. They also do the pine and a hardwood and they are all made in denmark so no quality problems.

Regards
Mastermind

Hi Mastermind,

Thanks for the advice. As a 1st time poster can you confirm if you have any association with the company recommended? I'm sure you will appreciate that advertising is contrary to .

Thanks,

Sueellen.

Hi sueellen,

I have been associated will all of them over 15 years rationel, carlson and harmon. Any more questions, please do not hesitate to post note. Did not read the terms fully, just seen the notes and all seem to mention that they need info on others in Ireland. If it is not ok to post notes let me know.

Mastermind

can you give an indication of the prices of wooden windows or those composite ones, looking at approx. cost of std windows for sitting room fitting, normal bedrooms, and how does price compare to PVC windows ?

Also what sort of price for patio doors ?

Hi cloughy,

I cant be accurate as all upvc companies prices vary, but danish made pine windows are dearer, sometimes up to twice the price of upvc. The alu exterior /pine interior composite is 10% - 15% extra again.
The best thing to do is to send your jobsketch to one supplier and get a ball park on the cost to see if it is in your budget. Then send it to three more to finialise your choice.
The amount of bars and opening sections will increase the cost a lot, so best advice i can give is keep it simple.

Regards
Mastermind

Hi Mastermind,

Thanks for the clarification.

Just to confirm do you actually have any association with the company you recommend i.e. [broken link removed]

Thanks,

Sueellen.

Anon - could you give us an idea of the prices the various companies were quoting for the no. of windows etc you were looking for.

I've been looking at PVC but the doors are so unspeakably ugly that I'm thinking of going for wood....

I can second Mastermind's recommendation of Harmon Vindeur. We used them to replace the windows, and door, on our house about 3 or 4 years ago. We wanted windows with a good U-value, and they were about the only company that didn't treat our question about U-value with derision (several companies seemed astonished that we would want to know how effectively insulated their windows are, some pretty much refused to discuss the topic with us).

Our windows are finished in white. Harmon Vindeur claim that this finish will last about 12 or 13 years before it needs to be re-painted, but only time will tell whether that is really the case. The marketing information makes a big thing of the manufactiring company being environmentally friendly, which also appealed to us. However, although the marketing also emphasises that the wood is treated to effectively eliminate any problems with knots in the wood "leaking" through the paint finish, we have found that some marks (which we presume to be knots) have started to appear on the inside frames over the last year or so. These marks are a pale brown colour. While the windows have been working out very well, this is the one disappointment with them. Right now these marks appear only on two or three of the windows, and are not very noticeable, but it remains to be seen whether they will get progressively worse over time.

So, all in all, the windows have proven to be very good, in spite of the blemishes that have appeared. The company provided us with all of the technical information that we requested, and in addition they were willing to accomodate some odd requests that we put to them (in particular, we wanted to fit a cat flap into a double glazed unit) which most other companies wouldn't even consider (the representative of one company practically told me to sod off when I raised the question with him - I think that was one of the companies listed above, but I can't remember exactly which one it was offhand so I won't name names for fear of getting it wrong). I would use them again, but I would probe them first on the manufacturer's guarantees on the effectiveness of the paint finish and what comeback you may expect if the finish does not match its promises.

Back