Key Post: Home Cinema Systems.

S

sueellen

Anyone have any advice on the above..

Currently, I don't have a video or stereo system (both need replacing). I am looking at a Sony one which is currently retailing at €600 in DID etc.. it's plays dvd's, CD's, MP3 and has a tuner, so it should offer everything in one? Is it worth the money?

Re: Home Cinema Systems

I always find it useful to refer to something like What HiFi magazine or the like for reviews, comparisons, comments before commiting to buying hifi gear.

No the mitsubishi home cinema system is at least half the price of the Sony and it does all of the things you mentioned about the Sony system.
I've no problem with Sony's equipment but Mitsubishi are just as reliable and at Half the price you can't go wrong.
Whatever you decide Njoy :)

Just FYI - I've had reliability problems with Mitsubuishi TV's in the past.

I've had a Mitsubishi DvD player now for over 2 years, its seen a lot of use and its still perfect, Also price JVC models are they are an excellent choice.

Never had any problems with Mitsubishi or Black Diamond TVs/VCRs myself.

Stay away from Black Diamond

Anything from Black Diamond are pieces of crap and are guaranteed to cause major hassles. Theres a reason why all thir products are so cheap - theyre s#@t!!

Have had 2 black diamond products die within a year and no numerous people with si ilar experience. These are not Misubishi. black diamond have bought mitsubishi or something like that and are using the name on their own inferior products.

Re: Stay away from Black Diamond

black diamond have bought mitsubishi or something like that and are using the name on their own inferior products.

As far as I know, a few years ago Mitsubishi outsourced the production of their standard sized (i.e. non widescreen) cathode ray tube (CRT) based TVs and sell these under the Black Diamond brand. For what it's worth my Black Diamond 21" NICAM TV has a Thompson CRT tube and has served me well for the last five years. No problems at all. I know people with even cheaper BEKO TVs which served them well for even longer. Non widescreen CRT based TVs are commodities these days using pretty standard technology and there's not an awful lot to be gained by buying more expensive models in my opinion.

Re: Stay away from Black Diamond

For what its worth i had a mitsubishi vcr for a long time. It had a peculiar tracking system that baulked at playing certain videos, particularly rented ones. Cleaning the heads helped but not always. Interestingly, the standard response from the video shop when i returned an unplayable video was "is it a mitsubishi? Ah yeah, its the tracking, that happens a lot with older tapes in mitsubishis" Usually a newer copy of the same video would work fine, and newly purchased videos were always ok but still.............. i wouldnt buy another one.

Try and sample the Pioneer XV-DV303, its got great output.is multi region and should be within your budget.

regard ged

Guys my intentional point here is that there should be no need to spend 600+ euros on a home cinema system when one of the same spec can be purchased cheaper and in "my opinion" just as reliable, the Mitsubishi system I recommended is seriously worth a look at the price but for value, stlye and reliability JVC's models are a better choice and still better priced than Sony's overpriced equipment.
Remember we have all at some stage had problems with electronic equipment just because a few people had trouble with a particular brand doesn't mean the whole range should be avoided, there are good examples out there too as I said I have my Mitsu DvD player for the last two years and not a bother to me, whatever is decided good luck and Njoy :)

Agreed! Unless you're a real anorak of an audophile who will design the room around the home cinema/hifi system for optimum acoustics etc. (some people do!) then the law of diminishing returns kicks in at relatively low prices on most hifi gear.

latest deal

I see Dixons and the Sony Centre shops have a Sony DAV-S400 300W (40W x 5 + 1x100W) system for Euro449.

Sony DAV-S400

no SCART connection to tv - pretty tight of Sony.
avoid this model

Anorak

Hey Clubman, lay off the Anorak(s), having gone overboard on spending on both CD and (valve) amp, i can guarantee once you hear such a system, your horizons will broaden. Take a visit to Cloney Audio, you can build yourself a superb system (easily upgraded as your appetite for better sound increases) for under a grand. (No connection to Cloney other than spending my hard earned cash there!!). What hifi, Hifi Plus and Hifi choice magazines will give recommendations on systems of all types.
Bear

Re: Anorak

I'm not sure - I mean, can albums by bands like The White Stripes and The Hives really benefit from audophile gear?! Anyway, with that high end gear don't you have to clear the room of carpets, curtains, furniture (other than isolation platforms balanced on pound coins natirually) etc. in order to get the best acoustic effects.... :lol

Carpets

Clubman,
Its not so much the bands that dont benefit from the gear you have, but rather you choose the gear to suit the music you're into. Although on some bands you dont hear the difference, although Green Day sounds pretty good on my gear. Anyway, depending on the room and gear, you can have too much or too little soft furnishings....anyway I digress.....

Back to my Jadis
Bear

Stereos & Sound

Guys

Y'all seem to know a thing or two about sound and HI FI etc. Maybe you can advise me?

I bought a Matsui DVD player on special offer and it works fine. However, the sound volume seems very low. I have to jack the vol right up to hear a DVD and this is a problem with the modern movies wher they mutter everything(do I sound old?). Then, when I switch off the DVD player the TV sound is so high I think it will blow the speakers. The DVD player is connected by scart leads to my Panasonic widescreen TV. I have recently bought a Sony Mini HI Fi system which, I think, can be hooked up to my TV.

Questions: Can a TV & DVD sound be enhanced using the Mini HIFI?
Can I relocate the speakers of HIFI without leads?
Can DVD sound be enhanced?

Many Thanks

Slim

PS: I have a Mitsu BD TV for 17 years. With the exception of a couple of internal switches over the years it has given great service. I heard that MITSU were sold to some lower quality manufacturer which seems to be the way with electronics and white goods.

Re: Stereos & Sound

I notice xtra-vision are selling a phillips DVD HC for €449 also.

Re: Stereos & Sound

Oh this doesn't sound right Slim, check the pins in the scart to see if they are damaged if not try going in the menu of your dvd player and play around with the sound options you should be able to figure out if its on the wrong setting.
Failing all of the above have the shop look at it :)
Good luck.

Back