Key Post Vacuum Cleaners/Centralised Vacuum Cleaning Systems

S

sueellen

I'm in the market for a new vacuum cleaner.

Are Dyson's as good as they claim or is it all a load of hot air ?

Any advice would be welcomed!

Thanks

POD

no

Personally I think the Dyson cleaners are'nt really all that good. They look great, and the concept of a bagless cleaner is deadly, but they need to be cleaned on a regular basis, or else you lose suction. This can be a pain in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language when your in the middle of the hovering and you suddenyl lose suction and you have to stop everything to clean the dam vacum cleaner.

Vacuums

If you want a powerful vacuum without the cool design, do what I did...buy a wet/dry vac from Argus. I got the one for about 45.00 EURO the other day to get some water out of my car due to recent flooding and the suction is great! It's got wheels and attachments and is fine for the home too. Save your money for something else!

Dyson Vacuum Cleaner

My advice.......if you are looking at spending Dyson type money on a vacuum cleaner....buy a Miele or a Nilfisk. Dyson is a great concept but in practical terms cleaning out the bin is a pain in the butt! When you open the cannister how much of the dust goes back out into the room? Taking out a bag which seals and disposing of it is alot more hygenic and convenient. Miele Vs Nilfisk ? You can't go wrong with either in terms of suction power. Buy a Nilfisk for its robustness or a Miele if filtration is a concern i.e. dust allergies. How do I know this? Up until last year I had spent 6 years working for DID Electrical selling amongst other things vacuum cleaners. I must have sold dozens of each in my time and my own personal experience and the feedback from my customers was very rarely anything but positive. Also you get a 5 year warranty with both. Hope this is of some help.............

vacuum cleaners

Since you were in the business for 6 years, would you have any idea which is the best
vacuum cleaner for wooden floors which are nearly impossible to keep dust free?

Re: vacuum cleaners

Try a wide, dense but soft bristle sweeping brush for wooden floors and either collect the contents into a dustpan or use the hoover for the final removal. I find using a hoover for all of the wooden floor area is overkill. Just my 2 cent (or is that cents (yes, yes I know it can be either just though it was funnny at the time).

Wooden Floors

I vacuum my wooden floors only occasionally preferring to sweep up heavier debris and I use a Swifter (think thats the name) for dust and hairs. You can get these in your local supermarket - there are a few different brands all of which work in the same way. They are like a pole with a pad on the bottom to which you attach a cloth which you can buy refill packs of. This cloth seems to have some sort of static charge as it seems like a magnet to dust. I think you can also get wet versions of the same cloths to use instead of a mop which is often too wet for wooden floors.

Mersey

Hi Eilis re: vac for hardwood floors

Miele is best for wood floors. They do a special attachment head for flooring. Comes with some of the models in their range but also can be bought separate and will fit any of them. Swifter thingy as mentioned above also very effective. Static charge works on same principle as that which attracts dust to your tv screen. I would still vacuum occassionally also.

Vac for wooden floors

MPH, thanks for the advice. Purchased the Miele today! Have been using the Swifter for a
while and find the Pledge dusters better than the Swifter ones. Looked up the Miele site
which stated there was a car clean kit (worth £40) free with purchase of vacuum cleaner.
Unfortunately the ESB, where I made my purchase, knew nothing about any free offer.

dyson vacuum cleaners

personally i would recommend giving the nilfisk 90 a go.
it is unquestionably the alfa romeo of vacuum cleaners giving
a fantastic vacuumed look each and every time.also check
out the length of cable-really amazing!and it comes in a
lovely grey shade so it will match every room that you clean.

VC

"it is unquestionably the alfa romeo of vacuum cleaners"

Does this mean it is contantly breaking down? :lol

Re: alfa romeo

The May 2003 edition of Consumer Choice (based on the Which? testing states categorically that

The clear winner was the Miele Cat & Dog 700 S716. It's a great all-round cleaner and the only cylinder on test to give a good result for cleaning pet hair. Our panel rated this the easiest to use of all the models...The Cat & Dog is head and shoulders above the other cylinders

They rarely give such a categorical recommendation.

Brendan

Additional comments from another thread.

Sueellen:
Having tried a few different makes I would have to say that I would not have anything other than Nilfisk. They as far as I am concerned leave all the other brands way behind.

davelerave:
what do you like about nilfisk,thanks

penang:

I agree with Sueellen. I bought a reconditioned Nilfisk (the silver one on wheels) two years ago and have never looked back. I live in an old dusty house with several dogs and children and the Nilfisk takes it all in its stride.

Its small enough to take out to the car as well.

I had a Dyson for a year and ended up throwing it in the bin. Its a toy.

Bear:
I Bought a Nilfisk King a couple of months ago and am delighted with it, it's very light, follows you around with ease, very powerful, loads of attachments and suction power to frighten a Westie (chief depositor of hair, I know it's his, he's white!!) and surprisingly quite too. Highly recommended.

Slash:

Nilfisk always had a reputation for being very robust. My parents had one for about thirty years, it just kept going and going.

When shopping for a vacuum cleaner, one of the most important features is the capacity of the motor: in theory, the higher the wattage, the more suction (and the more power consumption). I wouldn't buy a vacuum cleaner less than 1500 watts.

sueellen:
Have tried many different makes down thru the years and would have to say that the suction on the Nilfisk is the best. I have one of the old silver circular ones for about 15 years now and its still going strong. The thing that I really like about it is that even though they tell you that you should use bags as it lengthens the life of the motor I have never bothered and have had no problems.

The shape probably does not lend itself to hoovering the stairs but I would not hold that against it too much.

As one of the hubby's few jobs is hoovering I would not like to think of him exerting himself too much as hoovering can be very hard on the old back!

M3:
Do *not* buy a Dyson , I bought the top of the range having been seduced by the bright colours and supposed reputation and its been a disaster.

I managed to break it after about 6 weeks , it was fixed under guarantee but it definitely is much inferior to my Mums Miele which was about half the price...

ferryman:
Seems that Nilfisk fills the vacuum! Thanks for your advice.

davelerave:
suellen i've got a similar type a round goblin,great suction .do you not get dust blowing through the exhaust with no bag?

sueellen:
Sorry I had not seen your ? previously re the bag. Have never had any problem with dust blowing back thru the exhaust and have never used bags in the approx. 15 years that we have the Nilfisk.

I have also checked with him indoors and he has not noticed any problem either.

To be very smart - its great for hoovering up moth balls - just returning the dig on the mossies!

BlueSpud:
Friend had a Dyson, utter crap, avoid like the plague was her comment

>> Vacuum Cleaners.

My mother had one of those spherical Hoover vacuum cleaners for years up to about a decade ago. It had a reusable bag which folded closed at one end and was clipped closed with a clamp. She now has a more modern hoover but still reuses the supposedly disposable bags by opening the end that is folded and sealed, emptying it, refolding the "open" end and then sliding one of those A4 clip-on paper binder spines over to seal it. I think that must be where I get my thriftyness from... :)

what about goblin hoovers ?

Does anyone know anything about these ?

Are they any good ? Especially the filter ones ?

Re: vacuum cleaners

Recently bought a Miele Cat & Dog 700. I thought initially that it was very expensive compared to the competition but it is way better than anything else I looked at.

How the technology has changed since I bought my first vacuum cleaner. What surprised me most was the improvements in the head on the cleaner. The head is very big compared to my old Phillips. It rolls about on two small wheels. The icing on the cake with the head is that it has a built in brush that spins around, at high speed, using the suction of the motor and this lifts and beats the dirt off the carpet so that it can be sucked into the bag. Both the spinning brush and the wheels take a lot of the effort that previously had to be put into the pulling and pushing that is hoovering. The motor is also very powerful.

Finally, the bag that collects the dust is not just a paper bag, it is made of a very thick canvas.

Normally, I'm not one that would go for the top of the range anything, but on this occasion, and bearing in mind the amount of usage that it gets I figure it's well worth the extra.

I'm very impressed.

Murt

Re: >> Vacuum Cleaners.

Some other posts

gortfad
House hold vacuum system

Hi, I was thinking of installing a central vacuum system in the house and just wanted any feedback from anybody who has installed one.
Do you think they are worth the effort and expense??

bengy
Vacum system

I had this system installed when we built our new home 4 years ago. I am very happy with it and it is a very light system to work with.
We also had a connection in the kitchen where you can brush deposits into. It is a great idea but this outlet has given trouble and never worked as intended. They may have improved this aspect of the system. I can highly recommend the main statem. Willow

furntech
Re: Vacum system

Another company you can look at is BEAM, saw one installed and it seems to work well.

Regards,
Richard Moyles
www.furniture.ie

Gordanus
Robot vacuum cleaner

came across this in an English newspaper and it looks ideal for anyone who hates hoovering.... the robot vacuum cleaner is called the Roomba. Switch it on and it'll negotiate furniture and switch itself off when the room is clean.
www.domotec.uk.com/
According to the paper, its only st£199 but I couldn't find a price on the website. Anyone tried one of these?

ninsaga
Very frequent poster
e: Robot vacuum cleaner

WOW ...a vacuum cleaner finally available for cleaning Robots!

Daithi
Roomba

I believe the newer model is excellent but the older model is a disaster.
Only problem is - when you order it how do you know if you are getting the latest model as i think both models have the same name.

Marble
oomba

Bought one of the newer versions of these on the experience of a family member who had the original version. Both old and new versions work very well.

Either the old version or the new version can be picked up on ebay.com for a fraction of the retail cost and you can buy a Voltage converter on the web for approx. €15 (I made a 60% saving including delivery & voltage converter).

The newer models will not be mixed up with the older ones as they are very distinctive and the newer ones are are referred to as Roomba Red or Roomba Discovery.

More details can be found here www.roomba.de/

Would highly recommend as this is in no way just a gimmick...it really works

fatherdougalmaguire
Very frequent poster
Re: Roomba

Now to make some adaptions. A robot lawn mower ...

podge
Roomba

The electrical dept of Brown Thomas have them - why not have a look at them there and see if they are old/new model and up to the job or not. Then buy them on eBay !

Podge

Marble
Robotic Lawnmowers

The company that manufactuires the robotic vacuum cleaner also manufactures a robotic lawn mower called RoboMow.....the company is called iRobot....worrying!

See www.roomba.de/

fatherdougalmaguire
Very frequent poster
Re: Robotic Lawnmowers

Damn. I knew I should have patented that idea all those years ago.

I had an idea of a detachable flymo sort of thing that you would start off in one part of the garden and switch the motor to learn mode. You then mow your lawn and it would remember the steps you took. Next time, you just set the engine down in the same part and switch it on. It would remember the steps taken to mow your lawn.

Then there was the idea of ringtone-based car alarms I had around the same time.

Thank God I got a proper 9-to-whatever job. Soon put a stop to all that.

elderdog
Frequent poster
Re: Roomba

T are asking Euro399

BTW its seems that long dog hairs are a problem and it is suggested that these are picked up before it is set to work.

Looks like it may not be for me

FarneyMan
Central Vacuum System ?

Anybody using one of these at home ? Are they any use ? What about prices\costs\suppliers ?

Henny Penny
Frequent poster
Central Vacuum

My mother in law has one of these and it's more trouble than it's worth ... so much so she recently invested in a new hoover! Difficult to get serviced and lacking in suction power.

schoodles
Re: Central Vacuum

we use one and it is fantastic. Vaccum is in the shed and we have about 8 points in the house.

Hubby put down the pipes himself and then we bought the system...

about 1100 in total - well worth it.

browtal
vacuum system

I have been using one since building our new home 6 years ago. It is one of the most efficient and energy saving appliances available. no backbreaking hoover to lug around. we paid about 1,200 euro a steal at the price good luck willow

Re: >> Vacuum Cleaners/Centralised Vacuum Cleaning Systems

I'm thinking of purchasing a new vacuum cleaner and am undecided between a Nilfisk King Hygienic, a Nilfisk Extreme X300 or a miele.

Can anyone advise?

Re: >> Vacuum Cleaners/Centralised Vacuum Cleaning Systems

Hi Alba,

Not familiar with the two Nilfisk models that you mention. I bought my mother a basic €129 Nilfisk (Power City) machine recently and it is excellent.

I like Miele products a lot but would admit they are very expensive. You don't mention the price difference in the machines you list.

There was a survey printed in the Indo on 7th June and summarised [broken link removed] magazine results for washing machines, fridge-freezers, cylinder vacuum cleaners and dishwashers. Miele won on all four machines! As the survey would have been UK orientated they did not include Nilfisk in the list of machines targeted for the survey.

Back