Key Post: Windows - uPVC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gorms

does anyone know if you can get. Cream coloured pvc windows.

Re: pvc windows

Haven't purchased any, but have seen the with a cream wall and woodgrain colour, very nice. Quick sniff through google shows one of many website's, although a brochure might be needed to verify the exact colour. www.iol.ie/~crystal/Cryst...Doors.html

UPvc windows

Rationel Windows seem to do the wood effect windows so maybe they can do a special request for a colour?

Re: UPvc windows

I have seen instances where a person has had white pvc fitted and over the years the colour has turned from white to cream due to the material being of bad quality :\
You should be able to get whatever colour you want though just talk to a recommended company and they will supply you with a brochure and maybe a sample.
Good Luck ;)

I too am looking at windows at the moment.

Beware of pvc coated aluminium. They look like solid PVC, but they're not (inferior quality). Check out triple glazing and special energy coatings as well.

If you find any companies that do the above, please report back :D

tripple glazing

Hi xxxanotherpersonxxx !
Who the heck is selling tripple glazing in Ireland ? It was a pain to get double glazed -e coated -argon filled ones .
Now they are condensing along the aluminia spacers holding the two panes separate . At the time ( two years ago ) they where the top of the range available here , but I wish I had some better ones .
I would be grateful if you could let me/us know . Thanks .

heinbloed - Marvin Architectural do triple glazed windows. They are top of the range windows, made from wood, with weather resistant PVC coated aluminium exterior. Very nice (and probably very expensive - haven't got the quote back yet)

www.marvin.com
www.marvin-architectural.com

coloured pvc windows

One thing to ask the supplier (& check yourself if possible) is whether the colouring of a pvc frame is actually just a top layer - or whether the pvc is coloured all the way through.
In general, pvc windows just have a very thin layer of coloured material heat bonded to the outer surface. Then, when they get scratched - and they will - you can see the white pvc through the outer colour.
With cream, this might not be so obvious, but I have seen scratched red pvc frames which look terrible with the white background showing through.
Laoise

Re: tripple glazing

as far as I know that Roscrea pvc windows ( 087 2512099 )can supply tripple glazing.
Although I dont have experiance of them they did put all of the windaows and doors in my office and house. I found them to briliant to deal with and turned up at the exact time and day that was agreed. I know I could have bought cheeper from Munster joinery but the service and expecially the quality is worth far more than the difference.
BYTw the main reason for pvc discolouring is where they re process the offcuts.

Note: I have no connection with the above named other than the fact I know him for many years and I am a very satisfied customer

triple glazing

Thanks xxxanotherpersonxxx and jem !
I will get in contact with both of them soon .

Jamie did you get your windows installed?

Hi - just reading back on some of these older posts as I'm investigating windows and was wondering Jamie if you got your windows in and how it all worked out - would you still recommend the wright windows

Just a hint folks but when ordering double or triple glazed pvc or aluminium windows or doors ask for K glass this glass is made by a company called Pilkington K glass this glass will save you a small fortune on heating bills over the years as it actually reflects heat back into a room thus trapping the heat in the room, my father has just fitted new white pvc windows for me and I could see/feel the difference right after they were fitted.
Mmmmm cosy ;)

Pilington K glass

Wow - thanks for the advice. So did you ahve double or single glazed before? If doulbe how long did they last and why did you change (just wondering what to look out for!)

Thanks.

Changed from double glazed aluminium to pvc with double glazed K glass, I'm only in the house 7 months and I had to change the windows under the advice of dad the builder as the old ones were of terrible quality the hinges had practically siezed up so opening a window was a struggle and if you did open it trying to get it closed was an even greater struggle also the handles on the old ones were so weak that because of the tention of opening and closing the windows the handles had become loose and in some cases were broken so badly that if you opened that sash when you tried to close it again the handle would snap away in your hand thats what I mean by poor quality and obviously badly fitted.
Happy to say that it is a problem in the past now.
Remember when you look for a bargain in most cases you get what you pay for.
Here is the link to the company that supplied the windows.

www.weatherglaze.ie/

and also a link to the company who makes the glass.

[broken link removed]

Good Luck ;)

panes

The metal coated panes are good.Try to get them filled with argon gas,that would even enhance their insulating quality.

Dobber22,
I believe I read somewhere that this K-glass or low e glass is now mandatory in Ireland for all new builds and renovations or for replacement windows, to be in line with new building regulations Jan or Jul 2004 not sure of the date. Anyone know if this is correct ??

Re: panes

Doesn't say anything about that on the website, I believe it's a extra that must be requested :\

Windows - uPVC

I think you are right with regards to the K-glass or low e glass as now being mandatory.

I've also been shopping around lately for windows and have settled for these guys -
[broken link removed]

they do both Timber frame Tilt and turn windows & the standard uPvc. Think we'll go for the Timber windows - seemingly it has better longevity.

Better longivity on wooden windows

I'm really interested in your comment about better longivity on wooden windows. I'm in between minds on PVC V wooden (prefer look of wooden, but PVC have no/low maintenance and last longer, or so I thought!). So I'm really interested to hear how wooden can last longer.

THanks.

Re: Windows - uPVC

Wood lasting longer than plastic now thats just plain balmy :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back