Key Post: IKEA - What's the best way ?

M

Marion

I read the thread about IKEA in Glasgow. But what is now the best and cheapest way to get stuff over ?

- Renting Van and go via Ferry
- www.flatpackireland.com
- Fly with Ryanair, and get a courier over there to
deliever it to Ireland ?

And if somebody has taken a courier over there, how much did they charge approx. ?

THX,
Daniel

. . . or you could just wait for the govt to change the law to allow large IKEA type stores to be opened in Ireland !

Decisions decisions

Personally i was lucky enough to have access to a friends van so i went myself on the boat, handy enough drive to Warrington store.

The problem i would see with flatpackireland is that you dont see the furniture until it arrives and im not sure what there attitude would be to a turned up nose, i love the Ikea range but shall we say some of it is pretty far out so you may prefer to see it in the flesh before purchasing.

The courier system sounds like the way forward but it could work out expensive, there going to charge you for the boat fare etc. as well on the bill and its surprising just how little you can pack in a transit van.

Re: Decisions decisions

Hi Ikea Shopper - but how much did it cost you to get the van over and back ?

IKEA DELIEVERY

Sent an Email to IKEA Glasgow, and got the answer that they are now shipping directly from IKEA Glasgow to Ireland. Delievery time is about 7-14 days, and it will be delievered on a monday.

Costs are 100 GBP for the first two trolleys, every extra trolley is 40 GBP

Thank you

Thank you Daniel,

Good work :)

Do you have the full contact details for the store you were in touch with please ?

Can you please post them on this thread for everyone ?

Thank you

IKEA Glasgow

And can you order by phone or online from the Glasgow store?

ikea glasgow

IKEA Glasgow with contact details, & links to online (partial) catalogue.

From FAQs:
2. Can I purchase IKEA products on the web?
Only Sweden and Denmark currently sell products online. In the future, the ambition is to roll out this e-commerce platform to additional countries.

day trips to Ikea

If you're interested in just going for the day Stena offer daytrips to Ikea. Cost is €35 for the trip. A coach does a couple of pickups around the city and brings you to Dun Laoghaire. You get the fast ferry to Holyhead and then the coach takes you to Ikea in Warrington (about a 2 hr journey).

You get about 4-5 hours in Ikea, then load all of your stuff onto the coach. It's then back to Holyhead to catch the ferry home.

This trip isn't really suitable if you're planning on buying lots of larger items. However you'd be surprised at the amount of stuff you can load onto the coach especially if it isn't full.

Stena were stopping these trips during August but said they would probably start them up again in Sept. Your best bet would be to give them a call.

Happy shopping!

IKEA

I've done both Warrington and Glasgow.
If you check out Ryanair specials from time to time you can travel to Glasgow and get 7 hours at store - you'd be amazed how quick time flies by. Cost 10euro return ! Then use flatpackireland or courier it over.

Twice to Warrington by car - got loads in a Trajet. Great deals. In fact your trip could be subsidised if you sold some of the smaller stuff back home.

If IKEA come to Ireland - I will guarantee that the road network system will collapse at the weekends - it would have to be somewhere like Laois or maybe Coolock

Isn't the government planning changes in the legislation to let big non-food retail stores, such as IKEA in ? There was a story about it in the Sunday papers.

It was previously vetoed by the local retail lobby. Too much competition for our indigenous suppliers, you see !!

Re: ..IKEA

Local paper Dundalk Democrat has an article this week saying IKEA have viewed 2 sites in this area with a view to opening but have to wait for the Govt. decision on store size which will be at least 4-6 months.

IKEA

I went Ryanair had the morning in Glasgow saw Salvidor Dali's Crufixion lunch at House for an Art Lover taxi to IKEA ( open till 10.00) bus back to glasgow train to Preswick. Bought all the office furniture for 765 £. courired and arrived within the 14 days via Northern Ireland. ONly problem Im having difficulty reclaiming the VAT best go prepared with the necessary Export Documentation to present at the checkout. Meanwhile I am persuing .

Mortons Bus

Homegirl mentioned going by bus - One of these is run by Mortons Bus who leave Liffey Valley at something like 5am, take you to Warrington on their coach and return you with your purchases in the evening.

If I were to make a purchase it would probably be that way.

I have a large dining table with chairs and sideboard which were bought in Thurrock in 1999. I had minor problems with both (a chair had a small (noticeable-only-to-the-wife) stain and a shelf for the sideboard wouldnt physically fit into the assembled unit) and was able to bring them back easily, which obviously we couldnt do from here.

PT

PS The sideboard saga developed further when I brough back the offending shelf looking for a replacement. I was told that I would have to return ALL the parts (in its original flat-pack form) in return for a replacement. After some annoyed words the flat pack units were collected and delivered by courier (I suspect that wouldnt happen here). (De)Assembing took me two hours each time.

IKEA has gone up !

Just got the new catalogue - I reckon prices have gone up and just before the debates to whether they'll be allowed in Ireland. Definitely not as cheap as the last 6 years or so

Lot of views

By the way judging by the number of views on this thread, there is BIG interst in IKEA in Ireland.

buying/transporting ikea goods to ireland

As you may know the new ikea store opens in Cardiff Bay on the 6th November. If any body would like items bought and then transported to Ireland please let me know. If there is enough interest and it is economically viable I am prepared to bring it across.Please e.mail to the address disclosed or contact me on 0044 1792 842357 tel/fax.

email address?

what is your email address? tried the web page but couldn't find the site.

Back