Key Post: contact lens online?

H

harza

I know it was discussed previously but I can't find the link. Any help?

Re: Direct

I have been using getlenses, but I think there might be cheaper sites. Next time I have to renew, I'm gonna do a comparison of around a half dozen or so sites that I found that deliver to Ireland, and seem at least as reasonable as getlenses. I'll post any results.

Re:

www.lensmart.com post to Ireland and are nearly half the price of lenses here. Might run into all the problems of receiving parcels from the US but I know of a few people who swear by them.

getlenses

Getlenses.com will match any Irish or UK web site prices.

Did this with them recently and got same prices as Visiondirect.co.uk .

Re: getlenses

I used www.coastalcontacts.com but got caught for customs so it ended up costing almost as much as getlenses.com. Wouldn't bother buying from the US again because of that.

Thats the problem with ordering from the states, I think you have to have some sort of piece of mind as regards service and delivery times.
I ordered a years supply of monthlies from getlenses last year before going on holidays. They rang straight back after I placed the order to say they didnt have a years supply in stock of my lenses so sent out a free months supply(free next day delivery) of another brand to do me while on holiday. They rang me when I got back 2 weeks later to ask was it ok to send the rest then. Their prices matched or bettered anything else I could find in ire/uk and their service was par excellence as per above. Couldnt recommend them highly enough.

Re: >>contact lens online?

I just got 6 months supply of Focus night and day for £72.95 (€107.93) from lenscatalogue.co.uk

I used this site because I thought it was a UK site and I wouldn't have any further costs (i.e. customs) to pay. Turns out that the lenses actually shipped from the US, and so I was fearing the worst (I had purposefully avoided using US sites because of the customs issue). The lenses arrived today (10 days after ordering) and no demand for duty! Happy days.

Just trying to figure out how this happened, as the package was marked as contact lenses and the customs declaration said 'other' (as opposed to gift etc.) and so I would have expected customs to confiscate. The value on the package was declared as $65, so this might have had something to do with it.

The average monthly cost worked out at €18 (inc. delivery and currency exchange) versus over €25 at getlenses. I just paid €19 to have my six monthly check at Specsavers (sometimes they charge this, sometimes they don't), so am delighted that I have been able to save even more on the actual cost of the lenses than buying them from an optician in Ireland.

Specsavers are increasingly pissing me off.

Once they charged me something over a tenner for a bottle of solution - dearer by volume than whiskey I fumed !! Especially since its just purified water - we can all boil our own.

Such is my level of pisedoffness that I've taken to ignoring their advice since I suspect its pure money racketeering - e.g. wearing dailys once once, wearing monthly for no longer than a month, throwing out solution opened for more than a month, getting regular checks.

So going forward I'm looking for a reasonable optician to do the eye test & check - which I dont doubt is important, but after that I'm buying off internet and whoring out wearing 'best before' dates for lenses and solution. Maybe I should stress I wear them mainly for sport so typically only for a few hours at a time, 3 or 4 times a week, so that might allow me to cut corners where more intensive users wouldnt.

To those who wear them a lot - glasses are much more comfy and, in this day and age, it should be possible to get a pair that suit.

Incidentally I got my old specsavers glasses (the lenses) converted in rimless ones in Bangkok for about €25 including the new frames (they were plastic lenses and the new frames required smaller lenses so no probs) - I wonder what our uberchargers would say if you suggested that to them???

Betsy Og said:
Specsavers are increasingly pissing me off.

To those who wear them a lot - glasses are much more comfy and, in this day and age, it should be possible to get a pair that suit.

Not necessarily; for people like myself who need high strength glasses, contact lenses all day every day are much more comfortable and in that case, sticking to good replacement schedules is the difference between healthy eyes and not; I know which i would choose.

If you do any business travel to the US, then get lens solutions there. Own brand solutions are about $5, and just as good as the branded stuff. If you venture further afield, even better; I brought back 4 litres of lens solutions from China, at only €2.50 for a 500ml bottle. Bought from a good optician there, and just as good as the €10 per bottle stuff here (plus the bottles here are smaller).

If you only wear lenses for sport, then you are clocking fewer hours, but it is a false economy to wear daily lenses more than once. Buy on the net, or invest in a pair of annual replacement lenses and spend the time and effort keeping them clean.

cheers,
Diziet

I bring my solutions from [broken link removed] in Manchester at about half the Irish pharmacy prices.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between focus dailies and focus dailies progressive is? Can't seem to find a definitive answer.
thanks.

The progressive seem to be bifocal
[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Pigsback are giving 10% discount of VHI website so 3 months supply of one day acuvue costs €134.10 instead of €149. Supposed to get 500 piggypoints too but as usual I haven't got them so will probably have to complain yet again.

Just did a check on some lens prices. 01/09/05

Acuvue Dailies
from Get Lenses for 90 pairs: E149, 90.60 sterling
from Visiondirect for 90 pairs: E130.02, 84.99 sterling

Focus Dailies
from Get Lenses for 90 pairs:E92, 56.40 sterling
from Visionsdirect for 90 pairs: E75.01, 59.01 sterling

Get-lenses have my prescription and I think it might be out of date if I went to a new supplier so I rang Get Lenses and they matched the price of Vision Direct. They are also giving 2 weeks free lenses when you order a 6 month supply.

**There seems to be some anomalies in the sterling and euro prices on the sites. Currently on get lenses, its cheaper to shop in sterling. I think the exchange rate at the moment is 0.67 / 0.68. Something to watch out for.

Back