Go Back   Askaboutmoney.com > Don't Askaboutmoney > Service Providers - Phone, Broadband and TV

Notices

Old 20-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Frequent Poster

Default SKY Broadband - Quality & Opinion

Hi all,

I am just wondering has anyone in RoI signed up to the Sky Broadband package?

I am currently with Eircom and have sky TV, the prospect of moving to them is very tempting as it reduces it to one bill and saves my a about 250 over the year.

My big worry is if the broadband service isn't great, but am I right in assuming it won't be much different from Eircom as it's the same line?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Locke; 20-02-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Post title expansion for clarification.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Frequent Poster

It's mostly the Eircom infrastructure with some bits of the old BT thrown in .
Old 20-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Frequent Poster

Thanks for reply sahd. Will more than likely move. Makes sense to.
Old 20-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Frequent Poster

My Sky Broadband service was switched from Eircom and activated 2 weeks ago. I got a great deal as I got an early signing bonus. Service is fine and same as it was on Eircom NGB. The router, while simple to setup, didn't connect properly and after logging a call with Sky it was sorted the next day. Got my final Eircom bill yesterday and was hit with a €25.65 charge in lieu of not giving Eircom 1 month's notice.
Old 20-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Frequent Poster

Thanks DaveyWavey, and thatnks for they heads up on the months notice.
Old 20-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Frequent Poster

I am a Sky TV customer and I preregistered with Sky for broadband and recently got an offer for " unlimited broadband" and evening and weekend calls local and National for €40 pm. An Extra €7.50 gets you anytime calls nationally and to 20 international destinations.
As I am with Vodafone for €45p,m. including anytime national calls and free calls to 3 mobiles without the international calls (Skype will do here) I will not be changing.
Old 20-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Frequent Poster

Ah that's fair enough. We don't use the phone at home as we have mobiles, but I do know that you need to pay the rental with sky. The eircom one we are on is €62.50 so the €40 package would suit us fine.
Old 20-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Frequent Poster

Hi LOCKE.
The sky broadband should be the same as with Eircom. Just make sure that you check with Eircom as to when your contract is up to avoid having to pay a cancellation fee. Dont give any account number to sky until you know for sure that you are changing otherwise it could get messy,(I found out the hard way)
The Sky deal is a very good one for price.
Old 20-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the post joer. Out of contract thankfully.
Old 21-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

I'm with Sky BB since 3rd of Jan, very happy with it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Frequent Poster

I also moved to Sky from Vodafone. I was paying 45 per month and now pay 18.50 per month and have more free calls and the broadban is unlimited. I got in early when they were offering the broadband for a tenner a month. I know someone else who was offered it for 20 a month but he stuck to his guns negotiated and got it for the tenner.

I did have problems in the switchover and was without broadband for a week but that is all sorted now and I am very happy with the service as it is a lot faster.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Frequent Poster

Have any of the previous posters who changed over to Sky noticed any increase in broadband speeds?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Frequent Poster

Just make sure that you're not one of the 20% of users that would have to pay an extra €10 because of where you live ie. €57.50 pm rather than €47.50 pm for the unlimited broadband and talk anytime.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking13.html

Last edited by seantheman; 01-03-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by partnership View Post
I also moved to Sky from Vodafone. I was paying 45 per month and now pay 18.50 per month and have more free calls and the broadban is unlimited. I got in early when they were offering the broadband for a tenner a month.
I assume that line rental isn't included in this package?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantheman View Post
I assume that line rental isn't included in this package?
You don't pay line rental with anyone except eircom as far as I know. I was with vodafone and didn't pay line rental with them either unless they incorporate it in the plan.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
You don't pay line rental with anyone except eircom as far as I know. I was with vodafone and didn't pay line rental with them either unless they incorporate it in the plan.
Was it fixed line or mobile broadband you had with Vodafone?
I stand to be corrected but i always thought that if anyone (ie. Eircom, Sky, Imagine etc.)were providing a broadband and calls package over a fixed line, then you were charged line rental. Even though the rental may be included as part of the bundle cost?
As shown in the Sky package http://www.sky.com/ireland/broadband-talk/

Last edited by seantheman; 04-03-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: changed link
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
That's not the case (unless your talking about something other than fixed line). I'm currently with vodafone (fixed line) and there is definitely a line rental element (the most expensive line rental in europe).

Have also been with BT, UTV & Smart Telecom in the past - and there was always a line rental element regardless.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotoninsid View Post
That's not the case (unless your talking about something other than fixed line). I'm currently with vodafone (fixed line) and there is definitely a line rental element (the most expensive line rental in europe).

Have also been with BT, UTV & Smart Telecom in the past - and there was always a line rental element regardless.
Sorry Sid, I think our posts crossed while I was editing.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns N Roses View Post
Have any of the previous posters who changed over to Sky noticed any increase in broadband speeds?
They both use the same lines/equipment, so there'll be no speed increase.
Old 15-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Frequent Poster

One thing to note about Sky broadband and the Skyhub (the modem they provide) is that the Skyhub is tied down a lot. You can not configure your own DNS servers (say if you choose to use google DNS say or, as I do, OpenDNS for content filtering) you won't be able to do so. Nor are you allowed to use an alternate DSL modem.