SKY Broadband - Quality & Opinion

I switched to Sky in February and initially took the Sky Talk Freetime package. This gives free local calls during evenings and weekends. However, I have since upgraded to Sky Talk Anytime as the cost of local calls is astronomical outside of the free times. 9.7cent connection fee plus 6.7 cent per minute means a 30 minute local call call costs over €2. For an extra €7.50 per month all local, national and many international calls are now free all the time. If you are not a heavy user of local calls then Freetime is perfect.

I thinking of changing from Eircom to Sky. I'd be interested to hear some more posters experiences who have recently moved to Sky.

In particular I'd like to know if anyone has experienced slow broadband speeds or poor service etc.?

No contract with Magnet.ie

seems this might be an option in some areas www.magnet.ie

Eircom unfortunately don't have a good record in customer service email their complaints section at [email protected] and see how long it takes to get a reply!

Their customer service is via outsource company www.capita.ie

In particular I'd like to know if anyone has experienced slow broadband speeds or poor service etc.?

The broadband will be running on exactly the same equipment/lines, there will be no difference.

I'm a Sky TV customer, but decided not to move to them for Broadband as they were no cheaper than Vodafone. Sky's customer service has always been good the few times I've needed to call on TV related issues. You may wait a few minutes to speak to someone, but when you do, they generally resolve the issue there and then, or if they can't, they'll phone you back.

The broadband will be running on exactly the same equipment/lines, there will be no difference.

As you would expect.

However, I didn't get that same performance when I switched. They overloaded the line and as a result performance was down from 15mbs to 2/3mbs. Took them 3 weeks to resolve.

On a side note and relating to Customer Service, it took them 2 months and 5 phone calls to actually get rid of a package I requested when switching BB to them and redesigning my package. Had incredible problems trying to get them to do the most trivial things.

One thing to be aware of is that Sky have not launched a faster FTTC (vdsl) product, unlike Vodafone and Magnet (and eircom). You may find yourself unable to take up the new faster products when they launch in your area if you are still in contract and sky haven't launched the service

Was thinking of going with Sky phone and broadband. Have got Sky TV. Broadband with Eircom, phone with Digiweb. Too many bills. Digiweb package includes international calls, very important with family abroad and international calls making up 50%. The package costs €43 per month, sometimes runs to €60ish with calls to mobiles as service is so bad in our area. Reason I don't change broadband to Digiweb is I will break contract if I make any change. Eircom broadband costs €60.98 per two months. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back