I am going mad with tenants in arrears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormywormy

Can someone give me advice on what to do, I want to throw them out but the solicitor said that could take 6 months to do it the proper way. I just want to go to the house and say get out.

The full story is they were in 1 month’s arrears, but then they paid. Then they went into 2 months arrears, my house management company (wont name it) that are looking over the house said the tenants would probably pay so I did nothing. They didn’t pay and now they are in 3 months arrears as they are no money in the bank for this month.

I want to get them out, so can anybody please give me advice on how I could get them out. They are being paid by social welfare, but im not getting it.

The management company is useless and won’t make contact with me and they are saying they are on holidays every time I ring, but I do get in contact with the secretary.

All the best
Cormywormy

Re: Im going mad with tenents, there in arrears

I would be very annoyed with your mgmt company for letting it go for so long as notice will only apply from the date it is served to them. After they were so late the last time, the tenant should have been warned that if it happens again they will be served notice within 7 days of being late.

You can;t just throw them out (without ending up in a whole pile of trouble). You don't say how long they are there, but if you go onto the PRTB site, you will get details of what notice is required.

You should sack you mgmt company & take over yourself. Call to the tenants & ask for the rent due (or as much as you can get off them). Serve them the appropriate notice.

Contact the HSE to say the tenants have not being paying their rent for x amount of time (you won't get much feedback from them as their contract is with the tenant, but in my experience they can give the tenant a talking to & often helps).

Call to the property every day to ask for the rent - you need to make sure they take you seriously (but you can't enter the property without notice, as per your contract).

Thanks for the advice. the tenents are in the house 8 months.

My understanding of the procedure is once rent is 7 days late, you write to them, by express post (recommended by PRTB) stating the amount owed, and giving 14 days from receipt of this notice to pay, only after this notice has expired can you then issue the 28 day termination notice.

The PRTB will not get involved until you have followed the correct procedure and the final 28 days notice has expired without the issue been resolved, when they do there is a long waiting list.

AFAIK other than requesting payment and notifying the HSE, you can’t do anything to get them out until the PRTB deal with it.

From No.4 in Termination of Tenancy here: http://www.prtb.ie/downloads.htm

“Otherwise the normal notice period for terminating a tenancy by reason of non-compliance with tenancy obligations is 28 days for both landlords and tenants where the failure has been notified in writing and not remedied within a specified period. Where the breach of the tenant’s obligations is a failure to pay the amount of rent due, a termination notice may only be served following the written notification by the landlord to the tenant of the amount owing and the rent still being owed 14 days after that notification is received.”

Hi,

you must serve 14day notice on your tennant once they first go in to arrears and then serve 28day notice to leave your property. So if you aint served it and they're hardshaws you is looking at giving them free accomadation for the next 6 weeks (not bad after todays budget). I know as I suffered had the hands of professional tennants who did exactly what they're doing to you. went 1 mth then 2 then paid, then started all over again. Previous caller said call every day.

Technically you need to make an appointment as my tennant informed me. They even accused me of waking their kids even though I knocked on the door at 3pm. They went to the Gardai with a fictious complaint but thankfully I had a witness and they decided not to go down that road. Any time I had to call then I had to call the local Gardai who I have to admit were brilliant the only people these scumbags feared and the only ones who could help me. They mediated with them and I on the advice of a TD and my solicitor gave in to their demands and returned their deposit despite owing 5250 months rent.

I rang prtb as I was registered but they couldn't give me an Idea how long case would take. I couldnt afford the luxury of prtb taking 12months to investigate as I would have lost 18000. I had to make a business decision and cut my losses. Its mad then that if we dont register with prtb we cant off set interest as an expense against tax.

This is a stressful matter for anyone and my heart goes out to you. You'll either get lucky and lose or just lose Im afraid. As my scumbag tennant said to the Garda that had accompany me on one occasion 'Sur haven't we all the rights - did ya not see the programme tennants from hell - he knows that to or he wouldn't be offering me my deposit back'.

Landlords have no rights and listening to Joan Burton's views on mortgage interest relief one might be better making a loss.

Best of Luck.

P.s I got a lovely tennant after so there is light at end of the tunnel.

First contact the social welfare officer dealing with the tenant and write to them stating that they are profiting from a state benefit. You can ask to have the rent sent directly to you from now on if you still want them. If you dont want them, you will be looking at facing another 2 months without pay because of 'their rights'.

Thanks to all who replied and thanks reddevil will look into that.The MC got of there bum and looks like the tenents are leaving the house on wensday. will let you all know how it goes

Thanks to all who replied and thanks reddevil will look into that.The MC got of there bum and looks like the tenents are leaving the house on wensday. will let you all know how it goes
You need to change agent or better still manage the property yourself.

I wont be able to manage it myself, i dont have the time. But i will look into what other MC there is.

Cormywormy I am in the same position at the moments tenant left today thank goodness after 3 months of not paying rent. Im going up to get all the locks changed now dont forget to change any patio and back doors etc my tenant tried to lock me out by locking all front door locks from inside and I think he went out the pation door. Take a camera with you when you go in and take pictures of any damage that has been done. There are a couple of routes you can go down, I think the HSE have to take some responsability, you can go the legal route with a solicitor or go to the PRTB who are not all that helpful but send in the dispute form will pics etc and at least you will be doing all that you can to help the rest of us out there with these spongers.
Best of Luck

Hi people sorry didnt up date quicker.The tenents left on tuesday themselves not on wensday.The smell of the house, dogs and cats in it.The place is filthy inside. Had to get 4 new carpets.Had to touch up every wall of paint. And bought a 20 pack of air freshners!!!! I know the next door neighbour and he said he told them to det rid of 4 kittens by a certain day and they didnt. So the next day they left for work and he drowned them.There is a new man coming to view it on tuesday or wensday.thanks everybody for replying to my thread. UlS good idea to take pics buy forgot. House is done up now.thanks

Yeah, he told them to get rid of them, they were kittens i think. They didnt so he did what he said he would.They didnt care.

Cormywormy, you had my sympathy until the kitten incident and your attitude towards it. I pity your new tenant now with a neighbour like that. I hope you will give him a full update on your last tenants experience. LS.

bubbly scot he did warn them he would do it if they were not sent to a home or sold.

jhegarty they were in arrears for a time before i found out what the neighbour did.

Lightswitch what to you mean my attitude towards it , if he told me he was going to kill the poor things i would have got them re-homed. He did i with-out telling me before-hand.A grown cat was left behind and i got it re-homed.

This is horrific, what business is it of the neighbours? What did you say to him about murdering innocent animals, because warning or not, that is exactly what it is!! Am horrified!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back