Residents Association Fee: €30 pa for what?

Jane Doe

a residents committee was set up to look after estate and problems. they say they will ask each house for membership fee of 30 euro and also running a raffle to fund it. its a good idea but....

I just wondered if anyone has experience of this . What if someone does not want to be a member? where do they get figure of 30 euro? If someone pays and joins are they getting into an agreement whereby they are obliged to pay if the fee increases? What if soemone does not want to be a member?

I have read of people not joining such associations and then having their names published in a newsletter I think as not having paid. Can they do that?

Feedback from anyone who has had similar experiences welcomed

Can you get them to agree those things before hand. Seems entirely reasonable.
thanks do you mean fee is reasonable or getting them to agree those things before hand is reasonable?

there was a meeting i did not go to but then got the letter re fee.

You can only influence things if you get involved. I don't see how they can publish a list of people who don't want to pay no.

I have been paying into a residents association for many years and I do admit I used to moan about the fee. Looking back at the huge amount of voluntary work that the committees have carried out I actually feel ashamed to have have complained and must say that most of this type of civic work goes unappreciated. When you look at the modern alternitive of management companies and the outrageous charges involved you should be very grateful to have unpaid volunteers looking after your interests for a paltry 30 euro per year.

there was a meeting i did not go to but then got the letter re fee.
I'd guess that many of your questions were answered at the meeting. Maybe if you speak to some of those who went to the meeting and have taken on voluntary roles to improve your community, you might well get the rest of the answers.

If it is not a condition of ownership in your Title Documents regarding the Management Fee, then it cannot be enforced, And as for printing names of non payers, the Committee are leaving themselves wide open to a slander claim.

If the estate / development is clean and tidy and has a nice community atmosphere i think its well worth €30 - especially when it comes to someone trying to sell a property !

However they can publish a list of people who payed, with thanks.

But can they?, if the list is written in such a way as to clearly identify those who haven't paid?

i.e

No 1- Paid
No 2- Paid
No 3- Paid

No 5- Paid

It might invite vigilante action against No 4.

Hi Jane Doe,

Maybe you are getting private management fees and resident committees/associations mixed up.

The latter do not have contracts, they work on a voluntary basis for the good of the estate you live in. We pay the same and I agree with John Martin 100%. I paid the 30 euro annually and left it to others to get on with it, moaning when i handed it over. In the past few years i realised how run down an estate can become without such a committee/association.

I never thought I would be the type to give up my days off to get stuck in but I do and get great satisfaction from it.3 0 euro if affordable is worth it as you will benefit, also try to make it to the next meeting and you might get a better understanding of what your neighbours are trying to achieve.

For what it is worth if you decide to pay the 30 euro it will be to members of the committee and they will thank you for it, not ask you to sign up to anything. As far as naming names as to who did not pay up,i ts nonsense.

If anything dont let paying the 30 euro be the end of your contribution get involvled and you will appreciate your house/home, neighbours and estate a lot more.

best of luck Salaried.

We have been collecting money since our estate opened approx 10yrs ago.

There are 36 houses and the money is to pay for mainly grass cutting and weeding of the area to keep it looking half decent.

We charge 50 each year, payable in 2 x 25 payments.

To be honest, most people see it as a fee worth paying. It pays to have a nice looking street. We had difficulties over the years and when your common area grass is 4ft high, most people can see that its best to join in and keep it under control. Also get the odd tree, plant or scrub planted out of excess money just to add to things.

As for non-payers, the worst I think we ever had was 7 about 2yrs ago. Even in the recession now we have only 3 or 4, but these are habitual non-payers, who have no interest in paying and never will. They have little care for their own gardens, driveways or house generally, so there's no changing people like this.

Personally I think 50 is a small price to pay for the upkeep. And its good to see that most agree, even though payment is totally voluntary.

Is the €50 spent on upkeep of lawnmower, equipment, petrol etc Where is the extra equipment stored?

Grizzly ~ usually in these situations a contractor is hired to cut the grass etc. He'd have his own equipment so no equipment would be stored within the estate.

These contractors should have their own insurance. If they don't there are plenty out there who do and will take on the contract for a reasonable fee.

If it is not a condition of ownership in your Title Documents regarding the Management Fee
this is a local authority house so i do not have Title Documents
usually in these situations a contractor is hired to cut the grass etc. He'd have his own equipment so no equipment would be stored within the estate
in this situation a mower is being purchased

Make sure association has insurance/storage/petrol storage/who uses it/safety & hazzard training/servicing etc. sorted for the mower.

Beware the legalities of selling raffle tickets as a fundraiser. The gaming and lotteries act (1956?) is very specific. You would need a permit from the Gardai.

The RA have now hired a grass cutter. They did not give me a newsletter this time - maybe cos i did not join - but i have seen the newsletter.

I just wondered if say they should include the names of the companies who gave quotes for the grass so people would know it was done openly. I also wondered if they should have a constitution* and if people should see it before joining so they know where their cash is going.

Also should member have input into safety features like speed reduction ramps or do the RA decide all this themselves without consultation with members.

I would prefer not to join but would like to pay a reasonable amount to keep the area nice. Could I give a donation as distinct from a fee and therefore not have any obligation next year. I could donate again next year if i was impressed

I read about someone doing that on another site but cannot find it now

*is that the right word?

I just wondered if say they should include the names of the companies who gave quotes for the grass so people would know it was done openly.

why do you care if you havent joined

I also wondered if they should have a constitution* and if people should see it before joining so they know where their cash is going.

yes they should have one, it should be provided to all members and made availible to all members.

Also should member have input into safety features like speed reduction ramps or do the RA decide all this themselves without consultation with members.
do they have the authority to speak for everyone in the estate or are they just a bunck of goof offs and soap box politicans.

personally I would expect that all people living in the estate should be given a chance to voice their opinion for changes that will happen in their estate. if you decide not to voice your opinion than thats your right but you also automactically lose the right to complain after the fact. kind of like those people that dont vote but think they can complain that FF messed up the country.

I would prefer not to join but would like to pay a reasonable amount to keep the area nice. Could I give a donation as distinct from a fee and therefore not have any obligation next year. I could donate again next year if i was impressed

you're under no obligation to join a residents association. like wise they actually have no legal authority to speak for you or anyone else in the estate. Why do you need one is it not a council run estate? do the council not maintain the areas? is there a management company in place?
I read about someone doing that on another site but cannot find it now

isnt giving a donation the same as joining?

Back