Restaurant using teenagers & not paying them unpaid trial not explained to youngsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be happy so far, especially at the 30, which is laughable.

I'd be complaining saying that the kid had been employed, (which he was, as that's what he was told), and then after working his employer refused to pay. That is what happened after all, and that's quite serious. I'd be complaining to NERa is it, and they will take action, they can only respond to complaints, and perhaps the restaurant is known to NERA.

The FO comment by the manager or whatever is supporting evidence for you of their deplorable attitude, and their complete lack of remorse. So you can remain calm now and let them hang themselves. Try to use a modern smart phone to call them if calling, and record the call,.. no need to tell them if you do. (It is quite tricky to record calls so maybe ignore that.)

I would give the manager one last chance to pay up. I personally would now be asking for 100 to 300 Euros,.. but you could just ask for the minimum wage, and insist upon a real apology. Consider making your complaint all the same about the non-payment of wages, and the lack of a proper P45, if they don't provide it.

The only problem with what they've done is not tell the guy it was an unpaid trial.. if they had of done so then I can't see a problem,... unless they serially get new people on trial and never employ them.

Practice of unpaid work experience should be highlighted.

I know of a guy that called into a restaurant & he was offered unpaid work.

They know people are mad to get their first step on the ladder.

People pay to go to college to learn new skills.

Is it any different working for free?, in order to gain skills?

As long as you are told it's a free trial I don't see the problem.

Is it legal to employ someone on zero wages, if they agree to it?

Why? If an employee has debts or other issues in their personal life, surely their employer has no right to intrude into those issues once it doesn't impact on the performance of their employment?

And what's to stop anyone refusing to pay a restaurant, bar or hotel bill by alleging that the chef/barman or bellboy personally owes them money?

Is it legal to employ someone on zero wages, if they agree to it?

There are laws to prevent employers doing this as far as I know. That's the reason for the minimum wage and I think an even lower one if you are under 18. There was a recent case in the papers in Co. Clare. A B&B which offered roam and board and under minimum wage which as far as I could tell was accepted by the couple in question. But later they took the employer to court and got back dated wages as it was below the minimum.

Also the only place I believe you can pay less then minimum is hotels where you get bed and board as part of your package. But this may no longer be true.

Surely anyone is entitled to work on a voluntary basis without the employer being liable to be sued.

There just needs to be clear agreement that the work is voluntary.

Hi guys just catching up with this now. No, he didn't sign agreement, wasn't informed that it was a trial and she never asked him for pps number - the only thing she had was his cv which he had dropped in weeks beforehand. When the mother spoke to her she told her that she is within her rights to get different people to cover various nights during holiday season and not pay them. Again she at no time informed him that it was a trial - she told him to get a uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back