Yours sincerely & yours faithfully

I've received emails with "rgds" at the end.....small regard perhaps? :rolleyes:

I'd have very little regard for anyone who snnt such textspeak to me:D

I would love to see a post from a teacher on this subject, with regard (no pun intended) to how essay writing is affected by Textspeak (or should that be Txtspk?). I'd imagine standards have dropped considerably and there must be some very funny attempts at spelling!

Don't know how it affects teachers but I have seen some work handed up by third level college students and it is absolutely awful. Most use computers so why they don’t use Spelling and Grammar check I don’t know…

A lecturer friend of mine says she regularly gets txt spk in assessment work and cannot mark down, as most grading schemes do not take spelling and grammar into account.

BB

I concur that a letter to an institution or corporation should be 'yours faithfully'

I would also use this when sending a letter to a named person if I have not already been in correspondence with them or if I do not know them. I would use ' yours sincerely' if I knew the person, or if we had already had some correspondence on a matter and were using each other's names on correspondence in both directions. By the time I get to using yours sincerely, I am probably also using 'I am obliged for your assistance' or similar as well.

'Regards' or any of the variations on the theme, is much too informal for most business letters. You might use it to a client or colleague you know very well, or in a letter sent to close a file in which you are expressing thanks for the business, but that is about it. I think that it cheapens the sincerity that should be intrinsic to the expression of personal goodwill if you use it all the time - it becomes a little like an ultra fake 'missing you already' from the fresh faced corn-fed American franchise employee who we all like to lampoon, whether she exists or not.

...it becomes a little like an ultra fake 'missing you already' from the fresh faced corn-fed American franchise employee who we all like to lampoon, whether she exists or not.

:D Agree BTW

I thought 'faithfully' was used when you didn't have the name of the person because you had to have faith that your letter would be taken seriously by someone and 'sincerely' meant you were assuring joe bloggs that your were really jane bloggs and not someone pretending to be jane bloggs.
txt speak is accepted in secondary school assignments now. horrific stuff.

I work in recruitment and we now accept text speak as a record of the interview.

I know it sounds mad but the record is 'more' acurate.

I was taught Dear Sirs/Yours faithfully and "we" (as in "We refer to,blah blah)
and
Dear X/Yours sincerely and "I"

Whatever happened to shorthand?

How is it more accurate?

It is more accurate as the person taking the notes will make a better note thjen trying to do the note in longhand.

And does that mean that the person whose interview is recorded in long-hand is at a disadvantage?

No one has shorthand anymore - as far as I can see its not even taught.

No disadvantage. The notes do not affect the decision they are a record of the event if there is an appeal.

Apologies for going off thread.

Back