Younger brother charged with spamspamspam posession. What to do?

A

AlmostReal

My 20 year old brother was charged with posession of several grams of spamspamspam last year and has to go to court next month. The problem is that he's a student, his grant hasn't come in and he can't afford a solicitor. Neither can I. Our parents will not be involved.

I need to know how much trouble he is in, what could potentially happen to him and how important is it that he has legal council? I'm so worried. He's never been in trouble before, he's since given up smoking and is in the middle of a degree. What kind of fine could he be looking at? could he be facing a sentence? I'm hoping that if he goes to court without council and tells the truth he'll be ok?

go to citizens advice in your area. they will tell you if he qaualify for free legal aid but be warned there is a waiting list.....

He probally would qualify for free legal aid in his circumstances

Is he guilty of the offense? If so he should plead so.
Is it his first offense? Was the charge for simple possession?
If this is the case I would say he will get off with a fine or money to charity. Hardly likely that he will get a sentence. More likely to get probation act.

Is he guilty of the offense? If so he should plead so.
Is it his first offense? Was the charge for simple possession?
If this is the case I would say he will get off with a fine or money to charity. Hardly likely that he will get a sentence. More likely to get probation act.

I'd agree with that - He is unlikley to get a sentence for a minor (in the greater scheme of things) offence.

Depending on his financial situation (or yours) it might be useful to start getting urine samples tested before the court case. This will (hopefully) show that he has stopped using.

I would think that he needs to make sure to dress smartly, plead guilty, emphasise that he has learned his lesson and won't do it again and emphasise the impact that any sentence would have on his future travel and work plans.

Talk to a solicitor in the area and let the solicitor know he is looking for free legal aid. The solicitor will be let him know whats involved and whether its likely he will qualify for legal aid. Also the solicitor will know the form of the Judge in the area and this will help get the best deal for your brother.

Back