Young driver insurance

Itchy

Time to force a change?

[broken link removed]

the MIAB report found that young, male drivers had an eight percentage points higher rate of responsibility for accidents compared with female drivers of the same age and licence status.

Surely then premiums should be around 8% higher for males than females of the same status, and not up 100% difference as I have seen?

Also people getting the 'mate rate' really pisses me off, how can we catch a break? Would asking the insurance company to produce the actuarial evidence, like the article suggests, have any effect at all?

young drivers usually have young passengers. most of the fatal accidents reported in the news seems to involve young male drivers. In many of these fatalities, there are others described as injured. oft times these injuries are catastrophic and the compensation for young working people, who can no longer work, is thankfully, large. It must cater for loss of income until 65. I think that the insurers have some statistics and these stats do show high cost in accidents involving young people. It is not that they are encessarily involved in more accidents, but far costlier ones.

Maybe so, but the astronomical profits made from the young driver sector do not justify the continued, artificially inflated premiums.

In addition, are Irish young drivers more at risk than British/French/European young drivers?

Those with long memories will recall that the Motor Insurance Advisory Board (MIAB) reported that the profits of Irish insurance companies were ten times greater than for British motor insurance companies in the 17 years from 1983 to 1999.

More than enough reserves to cover a number of potential claims similar to those you outlined.