year of marriage

S

spongebob1

what do i do when i get married. who do i notify?
how do i know if i have any tax back in year of marriage.
can i just request a p21 statement after i let revenue know when i got married for the year of marriage. Would the refund (if any) be automatically calculated

You are treated as single persons for the remainder of the year of marriage.

For subsequent years you can opt for single, joint or separate treatment as you decide. Revenue have a leaflet on this Taxation of Married Persons. There is a form on that leaflet that you can use to notify Revenue of the marriage and your intent re treatment.

Once the year of marriage has ended you can request a review of this on your joint earnings / claims for the year. Once Revenue have details of the respective spouses PPS numbers and pay/tax etc for the year of marriage and the date of marriage they will calculate if there is any refund due. This would only be the case if tax paid in the period post marriage as single persons was more than the tax that would have been paid in the post marriage period if you had been jointly assessed. For example one spouse on 41% and other on 20% might result in a refund. Both on 20% only might not.

Back