XP profiles & joining a domain

zag

I am in the process of adding 3 XP Pro machines to a domain (or whatever it's called now) and while I can add the machines, the users get new profiles when they log in to the domain.

This is a problem for a number of reasons, but primarily because all their customisations and application settings are lost.

According to some MS KB articles I have come across I should be able to copy their existing local profile to their domain account and then when they login to the domain they get the same settings as when they login locally.

Unfortunately when I tried it, it didn't work correctly and (for example) Outlook decided it needed to be re-installed and configured for this user.

Does anyone know of a step-by-step or dummies guide to adding a machine to an Active Directory domain which results in no change to the profile whether the user logs in to the domain or just locally to the machine ?

All we are trying to achieve is to have access to network resources for users.

Cheers,

z

Do you know what . . . ? It's amazing the things I overlook. It should of course work. I have been busy googling various solutions but missed the obvious one.

Cheers,

z

zag said:
but missed the obvious one.

Cheers,

z
According to Michael O'Leary isn't that what us consultants do?<g> Point out the obvious and then charge for it<g>

C

Back