XP Install disc cannot see HDD

G

Guest125

Hi all.I have a Medion Laptop(MD96640) which has Vista installed.I have a genuine XP which I want to use instead.During installation at the partitioning stage I get the message"no drive on this computer" all I can do is F3 and quit.I know that its a problem trying to install XP on a SATA drive.This is what I've tried so far without success, 1) I used n-lite to make a slipstreamed disc with the xp SATA drivers(I think) I'm not sure what drivers I should be putting on the disc,is it the ACHI drivers or is it the chipset drivers? 2) Had a tentative look in the BIOS but I freely admit I was out of my depth so I hit F9(restore factory settings) and exited out.Any suggestions please?

Hi all.I have a Medion Laptop(MD96640) which has Vista installed.I have a genuine XP which I want to use instead.During installation at the partitioning stage I get the message"no drive on this computer" all I can do is F3 and quit.I know that its a problem trying to install XP on a SATA drive.This is what I've tried so far without success, 1) I used n-lite to make a slipstreamed disc with the xp SATA drivers(I think) I'm not sure what drivers I should be putting on the disc,is it the ACHI drivers or is it the chipset drivers? 2) Had a tentative look in the BIOS but I freely admit I was out of my depth so I hit F9(restore factory settings) and exited out.Any suggestions please?

Hi caff

Follow the instructions HERE and you should be sorted. I have a dell inspiron 1520 which came with Vista Premium and had the same problem. Just followed the steps and "upgraded" to XP :)

Thanks for the link scott88. Here goes I'm giving it a bash,will keep you posted!

No joy with this winimage program scott88.I can't get the file to open.I don't thinh I'm using it properly.Can you help please............getting tired of Vista's continual blue screens!!!

It's just a BIOS setting. Change the HDD operation to SATA and then the XP install will see it.

Eureka!!!! I'm now communicating from my newly installed xp.When using the winimage program select "all file types" from the dropdown menu.I think I deserve a pint to celebrate:D:D

Back