XBOX 360 scratches discs?

Technologist

I'm on my third copy of 'Gears of War', each one has scratches on it that were not there when the box was opened. Each produces the 'disc unreadable' error. XTravision, on instructions of Microsoft, have refused to repair/replace/refund the Xbox even though it's just 6 weeks old. Microsoft have stated that it's impossible for this to happen. Anyone have a similar experience?

Are you sure it is scratched? As in you can see a scratch on the disc?
The reason I ask is that other Xbox users have found disc unreadable errors come up when the Xbox overheats...

This is interesting! Junior got an Xbox 360 for Christmas and we've had to bring back Call of Duty 3 twice as it freezes. We got a gift card after the second return - we thought it might be that particular game as opposed to the Xbox itself. Couldn't see any obvious scratches on it.

He has two other games, one is Gears of War, which work fine.

The scratches are smear marks cannot be wiped off in a nearly complete ring on the outer quarter of the disc that . They built up over time after play over a 2 week period. The machine has never been moved and has been operated horizontally. The shop refuses to examine the machine or the disc. They tried to fob me off with a 28 day rule & when that didn't work, rang Microsoft who said that the fault I was complaining of was 'not possible'. So, assuming that that means means 'FO', next step would be a registered letter. Nice.

Which way is your 360 mounted? Heard problems when it came out that either flipping the orientation from one way to the other during access would scratch the discs. I'm sure it's somewhere. You could be subject to a variation of the original problem.

Well our Xbox if overplayed (dh can get trigger happy on GOW at night) does overheat and then the game freezes/we get disc errors Delgirl so perhaps you might want to look at how well the console is ventilated & maybe get a cooling fan if you have a dedicated gamer in the house!
Technologist how long has it been since you bought the Xbox? Is it a recent purchase and have you played many other games on it?

Well our Xbox if overplayed (dh can get trigger happy on GOW at night) does overheat and then the game freezes/we get disc errors Delgirl so perhaps you might want to look at how well the console is ventilated & maybe get a cooling fan if you have a dedicated gamer in the house!
Technologist how long has it been since you bought the Xbox? Is it a recent purchase and have you played many other games on it?
It's 6 weeks old and mainly GOW played. Other discs loaded without problem but not as much time spent on them as GOW. I reckon the problem can only be seen after a few hours. It wrecked the first disc after just two days and the next 10 days later. The machine sits on a rack, it has easily .5 metres of space above it, and 1.5 metres either side, with a metre behind it to the wall. This should be adequate ventilation. I'm running it at 1080i resolution.

Well it sounds like you will have to start playing another game or games to the same intensity to see if it's just the one disc (GOW) or the Xbox that is at fault.
Imagine, now you have an excuse to get gaming! :)
My dh would be green with envy.....

Back