x-rays

kerinsp

Is it possible to just go into the hospital and request an x-ray? I might have re-fractured a bone and I dont want to spend all day getting it checked. If I could just bypass the GP and go straight to casualty and ask for a specific x-ray, it might all be bearable.

The matter private do it without an appointment but I think you do need the GP referral.

A&E might be an option if you have a few days vacation due :)

Roy

Feck it.

Go to GP then only to be told "you better get an xray" and robbed of 45 quid.

thanks anyways

It'll cost you the same either way. If you don't have a GP referral, you will be charged €45 in A&E.
Leo

If you dont get referred you have to pay the admittance fee into the hospital if im not mistaken. I think thats about 45 anyway!

It's €55 in Limerick. There was no queues when I went in recently, so I think it's a brilliant idea to charge.

The reason you have to see a doctor, be it either in A&E or a GP clinic is so they can prescribe the X-Ray. It is radiation after all and this is one way to check the amounts that people are exposed to in a given time. Otherwise people would be having themselves radiated willy-nilly all the time.

Yeah, It would be a great laugh alright trying to read your own X-rays. Thats another reason to have a doctor/radiologist involved in this scenario.

A&E charge is €55 in any dublin hospital. I know the matter private will do an x-ray if you make an appointment but not sure how much they would charge i think its around the €120 mark. Otherwise you will need a GP referrel unless your brought in by ambulance!!!

Attending hospital for an x-ray is to my knowledge, part of a diagnostic assessment in order to find out what is wrong. If you want to by-pass your GP, then you will have to be examined by a doctor in A&E or outpatients before any x-ray will be carried out. Given the current waiting times and queues in public hospitals - this could take hours. It may be faster to actually visit your doctor - after all, how do you know that you actually have sustained this injury and it is not something else?

The charge for attendance at the out-patients, accident and emergency or casualty department of any public hospital in Ireland is 55 euro. These fees are set each year by the Dept. Health and Children. You will have to pay this if you just turn up there without being referred there by your GP. There is no charge if you are referred by a GP. The current charge of 55 euro also does not apply if you hold a medical card, are being treated for an infectious disease, etc. If the charge would cause you undue hardship, then your HSE area may waive these charges.

I see your options therefore as being:

(a) vist your GP and pay for your visit. If you're referred by GP to A&E or outpatients Dept. of a public hospital then you won't have to pay the daily hospital charge of 55 euro. Pro's of this option are that your GP can rule out other injuries in advance of your trip to hospital and you may obtain an appointed time to turn up for your x-ray. Another pro of this option, is you are entitled to time off work (without pay) to attend hospital appointments. A further pro, is if your GP charges you 45 euro for a visit, you will save 10 euro by visiting them first, instead of forking out 55 euro to the A&E.

(b) by-pass your GP and go straight to hospital. You will have to pay the 55 euro A&E/out-patients charge and will have to wait to be examined by a doctor before you can be referred for an x-ray. Pros of this option are you get to see the fantastic health system in Ireland in full swing.

Remember in relation to hospital charges, if you have to return for further visits in relation to the same illness or accident to A&E or outpatients, you do not have to pay the charge again.

Back