www.motorcheck.ie - Making money from Irish car reg database

sadie

This website www.motorcheck.ie must have access to State databases at the Dept of Environment or whatever?
How come that they have 27 records of my car (but I have to pay to access this information???)
How can they (1) access this information and (2) charge for it.
Now maybe anyone can access a database for free and I just don't know about it....Is this not strange.

Funnily enough they have exactly 27 further records on my car as well!! Hmmmm.

[broken link removed] is a free version of same.

i just had a look at that site and they have 29 records for mine.

But they list manufacturer recalls/warranty information as one of the sources that they have. So from the make and model alone they could harvest quite a bit of info. Same with the Euro NCAP.

I notice they also state they have "Data from Ireland's leading Auction Houses"

I read a thread here on AAM about a car sold at one of these "leading" (certainly one of the well known ones) auction houses. The car was sold as having eg one owner but when the buyer got the cert, it had more than that number. So i would question the validity of this information in any report that motorcheck offer.

Okay so they have the basic car info available to anyone like on www.motortax.ie, and are chancing their arms to see will someone cough up the 30 quid to get more info...

Would it not be a breach of the data protection act for them to give our finance information on a car ?

I looked at about 8 vehicles I know the registration to - years between 99 and 08.
They all had from 26 to 30 records which I am sure mostly comprise of the questions listed on the website - like:
Our instant reports contain the following:
Is there outstanding finance?
Has the vehicle been written off?
Has the vehicle been clocked?
Has it been reported as stolen?
Is the logbook / NCT forged?
Was the vehicle imported?
What is the UK or NI history?
Was it licensed as a taxi?
Has the colour been changed?
Was the engine ever replaced?
How many owners are there?