Wrong wedding cake supplied?

NOAH

At a recent wedding and the wrong cake was delivered!! It was not my wedding. The bride rang the makers to complain but they could not find the original cake and did not even apologise. ADVISED to cut cake and then call to see them. Cake cost 500 euros and was ordered ages ago to a specific spec to match colours etc.

I should mention the cake deliveed was totally different, wrong colour, different number of tiers, wrong ingredients, in fact it was so different it was a joke but not for the bride.

What can the bride claim back? Cost of cake and compensation?

I have my doubts as other cake was cut.

noah

Last edited:
Was the cake nice/edible/presentable??

Were there more or less tiers? Was it a nice cake?

At the end of the day, a cake does not make or break a wedding so unless the cake was awful, she should really expect no more than a small discount for the error...don't encourage her persue them for compensation - that is so annoying!!
My attitude is once the bride & groom make it up & down the aisle & still love each other - it's a great wedding.

If the supplied cake was less than she ordered, she should pay abit less than the price of the one recieved. If the cake was more substancial than order, she should pay no more than the one ordered.

Hope she had a good day (other than that !!)!!

Didn't she get to see the cake before it was delivered?

I worked for a confectioner for years and the bride always got to see and approve the final product prior to purchase.

She should claim the money for the cake back, your wedding is a huge day and every detail counts. If she went through the hassle of picking a particular cake she should have got what she wanted. Regardless of whether or not she cut the cake it's not what she ordered and lets face it she had to cut the cake as it was the only cake she had. If I were here I'd be claiming a full refund.

I have no idea of the rights but errors like this should not go unpunished. A decent supplier would compensate the bride as the chances are that the bride is going to tell her friends and other brides on forums to stay away from this supplier....

A brief update, bride is back but as of today had not visited cake makers or even heard from them?? I would threathen them with going public etc

no wedding insurance

noah

definitely think they should visit the cake makers. Enough planning and money goes into wedding days and if the wrong cake was supplied then she should get full refund. One of the "key" moments at a wedding reception is cutting on the cake ... they probably didn't even want to! I'd name and shame the cake makers anyways as they should be doing all the running to save their name and reputation.

But if everything else when OK and the alternative cake was fine, why stress about it and ruin the memories of what , hopefully, was otherwise a good day.

While I agree that the shop probably should refund them as this would be good customer relations, but I wouldn't sue or get stressed about it - if this is the only hassle they will face in their married life then they will do well.

Bottom line is they didn't get what they had paid for. I doubt it ruined their day but maybe this cake supplier has a habit of doing this and if people don't name and shame or get some sort of compensation, they could continue to do so.

I agree that she should look for a full refund. Confectioners make huge profits on wedding cakes because they bump up the price considerably when they know its for a wedding. Why should they then get away with delivering the wrong cake without so much as an apology or a proper explanation. I know in the greater scheme of things the cake isn't important and most guests probably don't even notice it, but that's not the point. She paid for something she didn't get and wasn't even treated with particular courtesy by the people at fault.

Back