Writing a book

mango

I have an idea of a book in mind. Rough outline of a story. What is my next step or what are the stages I have to undergo. If my English volcabulary is not to a high (cambridge) level can a publisher jazz up the book for you??????any help in this area would be appreciated.

Mango,

I work as an editor. If the story is good, I wouldn't be too worried about the grammar. However vocabulary wouldn't normally be edited because your words determine the style of the book. Would you be writing it yourself or getting someone to ghost write it for you?

Do you mean by ghost writing you tell a ghost writer the general outline of the story and they come up with the chapters for you. Please explain more.

My story idea would be mainly geared towards girls/boys from about the ages of 10-15 approx.

To be honest, I think you'd need to prove more than just a general outline - that would be getting a professional writer and you'd need to pay a bit for that!

How much of an idea do you have? Would you feel confident doing it yourself?

Yes I would write the book myself but what is meant by a ghost writer.
If I sit down and write the book where do I go next?

Have you googled for
plenty of interesting hits there.

Do you intend to take up book writing as a profession or is it as a hobby/amateur?

aj

It would be a hobby. I am only starting out. Maybe down the line would like to give it my full commitment.

I write a little and have managed to get some things published here and there.

My advice is to get it all down on paper first, by which I mean, don't judge what you are writing, don't self criticize, just get it down.

Read lots of books. Especially similar to your chosen field/topic. Somehow, the more you read, the more you write.

Check your local Arts Center for Writing Groups/courses. Generally they are well run, and you get to meet some like minded people who can give you immediate feedback on your work.

A couple of Excellent Books... The Writers And Artists Yearbook 2006, published by A&C Black, London will answer many of your above questions (should be in local library) and The Artists Way by Julia Cameron, published by PAN, is a fountain of creative encouragement.

Best of luck with it!

Jack The Lad said:
Read lots of books. Especially similar to your chosen field/topic. Somehow, the more you read, the more you write.

Just not too similar as I'm sure Dan Brown might tell you. ;)

Back