Would you hire a sole trader moving back into PAYE job?

D

Dubwat

(I tried searching but most of the topics seem to be about people with jobs moving to sole trader status, not the other way round!)

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on how hard it would be for a self-employed sole trader to move back into a PAYE job? Would the company be suspicious or wary of hiring you, i.e., you're a bad business person or you're just going to hang around for a few months and then move on?

Any tips/tricks on the question, "will you take orders from your new boss?"

Also, my last employer was a UK company who have a policy of not providing references but only the 'he worked here from x to y'. How would you deal with that?

Sorry for so many questions but I think I'm just realising a new reality for myself (and probably lots of other people as well)

-----------------------------------------------

About me: About 4 years ago, I made the classic mistake of turning a (creative) hobby into a business. At first, it went well but business is pretty bad now. It's not just me; a lot of my competitors have gone bust as well. The money simply isn't there anymore. Most of my sales are on the internet now to people outside of Ireland and realistically it's something that I could do at the weekends.

I have a university education in a science field and, after a bit of academia, moved into the business end of things. Eventually, I ended up as the Irish manager for a UK company. This can be spun 2 ways - I was the Irish General Manger for a UK company (7 employees, 2 offices, P+L accountability) or I was just a branch manager/supervisor for a UK company that just happened to have an Irish office.

I don't see why any employer would have a problem with your past work experience. They may fear that they will invest time and effort into getting you up to speed in a role and you will not stay but that's always a problem.

It's not my situation but I guess I'm imagining an mechanical engineer who went off and became a landscape painter for a few years. Would the prospective employer think that your heart's not in engineering (or something like that).

I suppose I'm thinking the worst because chances are I'll be looking for a job through a recruitment agency and I'm thinking the lowest common denominator. (I haven't had positive experiences with recruitment agencies in the past).

Back