Would you buy a car without any Service History?

Cabaiste

I looked at a car on Friday. Its a '05 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia with 90k km on the clock.

In the service book there is only one stamp which I think is the PDI from the original dealer.

The Sales rep told me he didn't really know anything about the car as he hadn't taken it in.

Its a very clean car and while the mileage is on the high side its nothing to a diesel!

The price is good and even though I couldn't get anything much off the price it is still IMO a good price. But its the lack of service history that worries me.

I think I will get an AA or cartell inspection done on it but its no substitute for a FSH?

What do people think, would you buy a car without FSH?

I wouldn't for a car of that age. But I would for a much older car.
Loads of choice out there at the minute......

I think a AA check will give you a better idea of the cars current condition. The FSH only tells you so much. (assuming its genuine) Useful yes. But current condition all important.

No service history is a risk factor that feeds into the price - no service history = cheaper car. Question you need to ask is whether the money saved is worth the extra risk taken.

..The Sales rep told me he didn't really know anything about the car as he hadn't taken it in...
Did you ask to speak to the rep who did take it in or look for the previous owners' details and contact them?

Did you ask to speak to the rep who did take it in or look for the previous owners' details and contact them?

Rang back this morning looking to do this or to track down the original dealer to see if they had the service history.

Car was sold on Saturday. Damn.

I was all set to buy it too!

Back