Would you be suspicious..?

Audders

Weird one but anyway....

Couple of weeks ago a distant family member called us and said they heard through family that we were looking to buy a house. Said we had been but were not doing anything right now due to economic events, and would wait a while to see how it all panned out.

Distant family member then told us about a house an elderly relative was selling as she had moved into a home....would be on at a reasonable price if we were interested. the figure 250k was loosely mentioned by them.

Went to see house and thought it's great - but needs a lot of work down the line so only worth buying if this work can be carried out and this all depends on costs etc.

Went to view house a second time with builder friend to get idea of what it would cost to extend and renovate.....within 24 hours I get a voice mail to say there is an offer on the property for 270k. House not even on market yet!!!!!

Ringing them tonight to respond to todays message - very tempted to say 'take that offer and run with it as we were not going to be offering anything near that price!'.......(we had max of 225k in mind - MAX!!!!!).

But I'm so suspiscious as how you get an offer of a 'great' price when it's not even on the market. Could it be that this house offer came from the sky?
Or maybe I'm too much of a critic...perhaps even though the country is in crisis and no one-s buying houses this one ex-council house on the outskirts of County Dublin needing modernisation has got the wow factor and doesn't even need an EA to sell it!!!!!!

I'm open to all opinions!!!!

[FONT=&quot]Please the title of your post in line with the Posting Guidelines.

Please read the before posting again on Askaboutmoney.

Any responses to posts with meaningless titles will be removed.

If the title is not edited within a reasonable time, the post will be closed.

Brendan
Administrator [/FONT]

Sounds very suspect to be honest.

I'm totally basing this on what you said, I don't know all the factors, but even at 225 or 250, an "ex-council house on the outskirts of County Dublin needing modernisation" is not necessarily a great deal. Check out daft or myhome and you'll find plenty available around the 250 mark. And a lot of these in decent inner city areas, like D7, not in County Dublin.

Back