Fair Deal/Nursing Homes Would the purchase of an adapted car for a son impact the Fair Deal?

Starlight2022

Hi my mother is planning on buying a new car on my behalf, I take her to all appointments & activities & it will be modified to suit her mobility needs. She wont be driving it.

My question is, if she needs to go into a nursing home in the next 5 years would the car be part of a 5 year claw back? We dont want to make any purchases or do anything that could hamper or cause issues with being approved for the fair deal scheme.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Starlight

If your mother owns the car, then I don't believe it will be included. However if she paid for it and it is registered in your name then it could be construed as in scope (as well as potentially tax implications for yourself).

Might be worth contacting Citizens advice or HSE Live for their thoughts

And if the mother owns it, but is never going to drive it, then I'm not sure how the son will get insurance on it?

Hi my mother is planning on buying a new car on my behalf, I take her to all appointments & activities & it will be modified to suit her mobility needs. She wont be driving it.

My question is, if she needs to go into a nursing home in the next 5 years would the car be part of a 5 year claw back? We dont want to make any purchases or do anything that could hamper or cause issues with being approved for the fair deal scheme.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Starlight
First question is the car been purchased under the disabled drivers/passenger scheme.
If your mother qualifies for the scheme the car would be bought by you under disabled Passenger scheme. In fact the VAT/VRT refund is more generous and has wider limits for disabled passenger than disabled driver.
I would suggest that you contact Disabled Drivers Association or scheme and they will talk you around the whole process.

Should your mother be disabled and require a vehicle modified for transport contact your local health center and request an application for what is known as a primary medical cert. Should you mother be successful in her application a vehicle will most likely be purchased under disabled driver/passenger scheme. Roughly a new car purchase without vat/vrt would save 30% of normal purchase price of said vehicle. Should a second hand vehicle be purchased under the scheme again vat/vrt is worked out on sliding scale. Excise duty on fuel used to transport your mother would also be refunded. The vehicle would also be road tax exempt.

and be eligible to park in disabled driving bays once the blue badge is displayed and the disabled person travels with the vehicle.

And if the mother owns it, but is never going to drive it, then I'm not sure how the son will get insurance on it?
Assuming she has a current licence and can get insurance (and it might be expensive) then she could add the son as a named driver.

your mother is entitled to spend her money, but if they suspect she is trying to reduce her income, they will most certainly question it. she would need to keep the receipt, and prove that it was a reasonable expense. If they question it, and you say it was for someone else, they are entitled to include that monies in her income. this is what happened to my dad, unfortunately he was honest and said it was a loan to his son and they took that as income / loan unpaid. Buying it for someone else to drive her may not cut it.
what modifications are you planning to do? if your mam can't drive, what would be required? if it's a wheelchair accessible van or car, the costs are quite high.

Back