Would i need to pay water rates?

i starting to think that this isn't going to be such a good idea.
In summary:
- Water rates
- Sewage/water disposal
- IMRO
- PPI
- Public liability insurance
- Upgrade buildings insurance
- Fire safety certificate
- Capital gains tax on portion of property used for business (If profit made on house sale)
- Commercial rates
- Safety statement for insurances

Also, not mentioned:
- If 'S' class self employed, loss of PAYE tax credit
- If 'S' class self employed, loss of social welfare benefits
- Accountancy costs

All this to set up a hair dressing salon. Heaven help you if you ever decide to employ someone, or set up a limited company!

hey your list is neater than mine lol i have scraps of paper with bits jotted down all over the place.

Heaven help me indeed.........And this was just in my own home!!!! Now everyone knows why salons charge so much.

I had a limited company before with my ex but we never had to pay out all these expenses, we had 1 little desk in the front room and that was it. A whole different ball game this time around. All i want to do is earn a living!!

I know this is kind of obvious and maybe not so easy in your area but would you not consider going back to work on the floor in an established salon to (a) be sure of a reliable income and (b) to build a local clientele.

Hairdressing is one business which is not as badly affected in recessionary times as others and a talented sylist with a clientele in tow (your mobile business) is normally welcomed with open arms by any Salon owner.

In summary:
- Water rates
- Sewage/water disposal
- IMRO
- PPI
- Public liability insurance
- Upgrade buildings insurance
- Fire safety certificate
- Capital gains tax on portion of property used for business (If profit made on house sale)
- Commercial rates
- Safety statement for insurances

And the list goes on...

Stock,
On Going Training,
Laundry (Towels etc..)
A website perhaps
Electricity and Water Heating.
Subscriptions,

so many problems with that idea, as good as it sounds it's never going to work.

I'm in london at the moment and apart from family and friends ( and the odd neighbour of their's) i dont have a client base at the moment, none of them are going to pay salon prices ( highlights and cut can cost anywhere from 100E to 200E ) when i can do it for 50E and they get the same if not better results from me.

No joke i phone 57 salons all in the north county dublin area and not 1 of them are taking on staff at the moment. I've started looking further afield but with not much joy either. There's a few on the south side but to be realistic i cant travel 2 hrs to and from work each day. I used to have to go to crumlin mon-fri and no matter if i went the port tunnel way or M50 it still took 2 hrs.

Have you contacted any of the suppliers, Schwarzkopf or Wella for example for the role of technician?

Well normally most Suppliers have a technical team working behind their products for salon training etc..

I m sure in your experience you have come across them visiting salons etc.... to educate stylists on new techniques and products. This can prove to be a nice little job for any stylist as it leaves weekends free to freelance and it also gives you a great insight into other salons and a greater knowledge of salon owners and maybe potential employers.

Might be a long shot but often cover is required short term for maternity leave etc..

That would be more down a teaching role and i wouldn't think i would be anywhere near experienced enough to apply for one of those roles. You would need to have done a lot of their own courses and have years of experience in their products. I have a few years...maybe it is worth looking in to, not what i want to do but like you said it could open other doors for me. It's worth looking in to at least, i hadn't really though of anything like that i was set on doing actual hairdressing, i should really start looking further afeild cause i dont seem to be getting very far at the moment.

Suppliers that are independant like sally's are a joke, I was in their in febuary and a customer was asking question's about different products and the girls in there didn't have a clue ( i had to help the lady out which considering your meant to be in the trade to buy colour and bleach unless your in the trade, so she should of know herself really, good job i knew a bit about L'oreal products or she could of ended up with green highlights lol ) how could they there not hairdressers......thats what i thought you meant at first ( must be all the bleach ) But in saying that at least it would be a job, i could apply there and work mobile outside of those hours, at least i'd be able to give people the correct advice.

sorry forgot to add..... actually i've never actually seen anyone come into a salon and teach us as such. It never happen to me...but i trained at a college not in salon. Usually you'd go away on a course that the salon would pay for, the couple of colour course i did with L'oreal i paid for myself. I should really but i dont know a great deal about other companies, i know L'oreal has a help line lol New products that have come out in my time have been new colours/shampoo products ect and you wouldn't really need training to use them.

Back